Solving Parametric Curve: Find t for x=4, y=0

In summary, the parametric curve x = 2squareroot(1+t), y = e^t has a slope of dy/dx = e^t / 2t + 1 and a tangent line at (x(t), y(t)) that slopes dy/dx = e^t / 2t + 1. The t such that the tangent line at (x(t), y(t)) intersects the x-axis at (4,0) is t^2 + t.
mjstyle

Homework Statement

a)Consider the parametric curve x = t^2 + t, y = e^t. Find all t such that the tangent line of the curve at (x(t), y(t)) intersects the x-axis at (4,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I draw out the graph and came out with the points, I was wondering do i eliminate the parameter t to find the equation first or what approach can i take to start this question. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi mjstyle ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
mjstyle said:
a)Consider the parametric curve x = t^2 + t, y = e^t. Find all t such that the tangent line of the curve at (x(t), y(t)) intersects the x-axis at (4,0)

I draw out the graph and came out with the points, I was wondering do i eliminate the parameter t to find the equation first or what approach can i take to start this question. Thank you

The parameter t is the answer, so eliminate it last. :wink:

Start by writing down the slope of the line from (4,0) to (x(t),y(t)), then get it to equal the slope of the tangent at (x(t),y(t)) …

what do you get? :smile:

Thank you so much for the quick response,

I was wondering, writing down the slope of the line from (4,0) to (x(t),y(t)),

m = y(t) - 0 / x(t) - 4

tangent at (x(t),y(t)):

dy/dx = dy/dt / dx/dt = e^t / 2t + 1

then I'm stuck hehe

mjstyle said:
m = y(t) - 0 / x(t) - 4

then I'm stuck hehe

hmm :rolleyes: … that's because (unlike your dy/dx) you haven't yet converted m into a function of just t :wink:

omg what am i thinking, that's right

m = y(t) - 0 / x(t) - 4

m = e^t / t^2 + t - 4

tangent at (x(t),y(t)):

dy/dx = dy/dt / dx/dt = e^t / 2t + 1

x = t^2 + t, y = e^t

so right right i fond the slop of the line according to t, how do i find the slop of the tangent line: x = t^2 + t, y = e^t?

thanks

mjstyle said:
… how do i find the slop of the tangent line …

the slope of the tangent line is dy/dx :smile:

oh... i always thought that's the tangent line dy/dx then what i do now is

e^t / 2t + 1 = e^t / t^2 + t - 4 and solve for t?

which is

ln t / 2t + 1 = ln t / t^2 + t - 4

t^2 + t - 4 / 2t + 1 = 1

t^2 - t - 5 = 0

using quadratic formula: comes out to be (1 + square root(21)) / 2 and (1 - square root(21)) / 2

is that correct? thank you so much

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, but it would have been a lot quicker just to divide your original equation by et

(and your "ln t / 2t + 1 = ln t / t^2 + t - 4" is rubbish :rolleyes:)

thank you so much for the help!. I actually have one more question,

Determine the values of t for which the curve x = 2squareroot(1+t), y = intergral from x to t^2 (squareroot(u) - 1)squareroot(1 + squareroot(u)) du, t greater and equal to 0 is concave upward and those for thich is it concave downward.

Do i find the second derivative of this and then... hehe

mjstyle said:
… Do i find the second derivative …

(have a square-root: √ and an integral: ∫ :wink:)

Yes, you need the sign (only) of d2y/dx2

but since x is monotone increasing (wrt t), that'll be the same as the sign of d/dt (dy/dx) :smile:

hey tiny-tim, for the preivous question, i don't think it's right cause i plugged in 1+squareroot(21) / 2 into t in y = e^t and i did not get 0...

(what happened to that √ i gave you?)
mjstyle said:
hey tiny-tim, for the preivous question, i don't think it's right cause i plugged in 1+squareroot(21) / 2 into t in y = e^t and i did not get 0...

sorry … not following you :redface:

oh cause, the question asks

Find all t such that the tangent line of the curve at (x(t), y(t)) intersects the x-axis at (4,0)

so I'm assuming the t's I fins intersects the x-axis, so let say i plug in the t i find into the y(t) equation, shouldn't i get 0, but plugging in 1+squareroot(21) / 2 into t in y = e^t doesn't give me 0.

mjstyle said:
let say i plug in the t i find into the y(t) equation

?? :confused:

if you plug in a t you found into the y(t) equation, you get the y coordinate of a point on the curve from which the tangent goes through (4,0)

1. What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a mathematical representation of a curve using equations that describe how the x and y coordinates change with respect to a third variable, usually denoted as t.

2. Why do we need to solve for t in a parametric curve?

Solving for t allows us to find the specific values of t that correspond to a given x and y coordinate on the curve. This is important for plotting the curve and understanding its behavior.

3. How do you solve for t in a parametric curve?

To solve for t, we can use algebraic manipulation to isolate t in one of the given equations. In this case, we can solve for t in the equation x=4 by dividing both sides by 4, giving us t=1. We can then plug this value of t into the other equation y=0 to confirm that it satisfies the equation.

4. Can there be multiple values of t for a given x and y on a parametric curve?

Yes, there can be multiple values of t that correspond to a given x and y coordinate on a parametric curve. This is because a single point on a parametric curve can be traced multiple times as t increases, resulting in different values of t for the same x and y coordinates.

5. What is the significance of solving for t in a parametric curve?

Solving for t allows us to better understand the behavior of the curve and its relationship to the variables x and y. It also allows us to plot the curve and calculate other important quantities such as the slope and curvature at a given point on the curve.