Solving a system of 2 diffrential equations with 3 unknowns.

In summary, the second derivative of r minus the first derivative of theta squared equals negative g. This equation can be solved for theta' by dividing by r^2 and integrating.
torquerotates

Homework Statement

r''-(theta')^2=-g reads: second derivative of r minus the first derivative of theta squared equals negative g

2(r')theta'+(r)theta''=0 reads: 2 times the first derivative of r times the first derivative of theta plus r times the second derivative of theta.

both r and theta are a function of time. Oh and the derivatives of each variable are with respect to time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue as to how I'm going to solve this system of differential equations. I'm trying to solve for r'

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi torquerotates! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

(and it's ok using ' to mean derivative … you needn't explain it! :wink:)
torquerotates said:
r''-(theta')^2=-g reads: second derivative of r minus the first derivative of theta squared equals negative g

2(r')theta'+(r)theta''=0 reads: 2 times the first derivative of r times the first derivative of theta plus r times the second derivative of theta.

Hint: trick is to multiply the second one by r …

that gives you 2rr'θ' + r2θ'' = 0,

which you can integrate to give … ? :smile:

Im thinking about it but i just can't seem to solve it. At first I was thinking chain rule. But that clearly doesn't work.

To make use of Tim's hint recognize the product rule.

Oh I see. So if i integrate, I get (r^2 )theta'=C where C is a constant. Is this the right thinking?

Ok so solving for theta' I get theta'=C/(r^2)

And plugging into the other equation, I get r''-(C^2)/(r^4)=-g

But I have no clue solve this one as well. Maybe if r^4 was in the numerator, I would get somewhere.

torquerotates said:
Ok so solving for theta' I get theta'=C/(r^2)

Yup! :biggrin:

(but what happened to that θ i gave you? :confused:)
And plugging into the other equation, I get r''-(C^2)/(r^4)=-g

Hint: this time, multiply by r'. :wink:

1. How do I determine the number of solutions for a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns?

The number of solutions for a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns can be determined by using the concept of linear independence. If the two equations are linearly independent, then there will be a unique solution. If the equations are linearly dependent, there will be infinitely many solutions.

2. Can I solve a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns analytically?

Yes, it is possible to solve a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns analytically if the equations are linear and have constant coefficients. This can be done by using techniques such as substitution, elimination, and Cramer's rule.

3. What is the role of initial conditions in solving a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns?

Initial conditions are necessary for solving a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns. They provide the starting points for the solutions and help determine the values of the unknown variables at a specific point in time.

4. Are there any numerical methods for solving a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns?

Yes, there are several numerical methods available for solving a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns, such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and the finite difference method. These methods are useful when the equations are nonlinear or do not have constant coefficients.

5. How can I check if my solution for a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns is correct?

To check the correctness of a solution for a system of 2 differential equations with 3 unknowns, you can substitute the values of the unknown variables into the equations and check if they satisfy both equations simultaneously. You can also plot the solution curve and compare it to the given initial conditions to ensure that it is the correct solution.