Doppler Effect: Speed of Sound and Wind Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the Doppler Effect and the problem of determining the relationship between the speed of sound, wind, and an ambulance. The options provided are to determine if the speed of sound is always greater than the combined speed of the ambulance and wind, always less than the combined speed, or neither. The correct answer is (1) because the problem assumes reasonable speeds for both the ambulance and wind. Option 2 is not conceptually wrong, but it may not be a reasonable assumption for this problem.
Perrin
Hi, I've got a problem that I can't seem to find an explanation to, about the Doppler Effect

An ambulance is going down the road at a speed U meters/second, in the same direction as the wind, which has a speed of W meters/second. The speed of sound in air is c meters/second

Now, I have to choose one of three options:

1) always c>U+W
2) always c<U+W
3) neither (1) nor (2)

At first I thought that the correct answer was (3), because I couldn't think of a reason why there should be a restriction to the speed of sound in air.
The correct answer is (1) though, and I can't understand why.
Can someone please enlighten me?
Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the reason why it's 1 is because you're assuming that the ambulance isn't breaking the sound barrier. The speed of sound is a constant (it can change due to temperature but we'll assume it's a constant for this problem).

Also, considering the two other choices, either "c" is less than "U + W" which is obviously false or "c" is equal to "U + W" (assuming it's what is implied) which is also false.

Is there something conceptually wrong with option 2?
Let me see if I understand correctly. If the wind has a certain velocity, the resulting velocity of the sound wave is the constant velocity, 343m/s, plus the velocity of the wind. So, is there a reason why option 2 cannot occur?

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the concept of option 2. But for this problem, I think that they want you to assume reasonable speeds for both the ambulance and the wind.

For example, option 2 would be correct if the ambulance was going above Mach 1. But how reasonable is that?

I think it may have something to do with the book the problem came from. Maybe it typically assumes the ordinary.

Thanks for the explanation!

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect is most commonly observed in sound waves, but it can also occur with other types of waves, such as light.

How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect is caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. When the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave appears higher and the wavelength appears shorter. When the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency appears lower and the wavelength appears longer. This is because the motion of the source affects how quickly the waves reach the observer.

What is an example of the Doppler Effect in everyday life?

One common example of the Doppler Effect is the sound of a siren from a moving emergency vehicle. As the vehicle approaches, the pitch of the siren appears higher, and as it moves away, the pitch appears lower. This is due to the Doppler Effect, as the sound waves are compressed and expanded as the vehicle moves towards and away from the listener.

How is the Doppler Effect used in science?

The Doppler Effect is used in various scientific fields, including astronomy, meteorology, and seismology. In astronomy, it is used to measure the speed and direction of stars and galaxies. In meteorology, it is used to track the movement of storms and weather patterns. In seismology, it is used to study the intensity and direction of earthquakes.

What are the practical applications of the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications, such as in radar technology for detecting the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging, such as Doppler ultrasound, to measure blood flow and diagnose cardiovascular diseases. Additionally, it is used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to determine the position and speed of moving objects.