Is the Matrix Representation of a Unitary Operator Always a Unitary Matrix?

• Thread starter facenian
  • Start date
In summary, the text says that the matrix representation of a unitary operator is a unitary matrix if the basis is orthogonal, but this is not always the case.
facenian
I have a very basic question. I'm confused because I've read in a text that the matrix representation of a unitary operator is a unitary matrix if the basis is orthogonal, however I believe that the matrix is unitary whatever basis one uses. I'd appretiate any comments on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
which text?

malawi_glenn said:
which text?

Quantum Mechanics(third edition) E. Merzbacher-Chapter 17 Page 418,I quote :"Since the operators U_a were assumed to be unitary, the representation matrices are also unitary if the basis is orthonormal"

Try a simple example. Take the identity matrix on a 2-dimensional space, which is clearly unitary. Use linearity to compute the matrix elements with respect to the basis [itex]e_{1}' = e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_{2}' = e_1 + e_2[/itex], where [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_1[/itex] make up an orthonormal basis.

Does this give a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix U satisfies [itex]\sum_j U^*_{ji}U_{jk}=\delta_{ik}[/itex]. Is this satisfied by the matrix representation of a unitary operator?

[tex]\sum_j U^*_{ji}U_{jk}=\sum_j\langle j|U|i\rangle^*\langle j|U|k\rangle=\sum_j\langle i|U^\dagger|j\rangle\langle j|U|k\rangle=\langle i|U^\dagger\Big(\sum_j|j\rangle\langle j|\Big)U|k\rangle[/tex]

This reduces to [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] if the parenthesis is the identity operator. I can prove that it is, if I use that the basis is orthonormal, but not without that assumption. So it looks like your book is right. What makes you think it's wrong?

thank you people. The orgin of my mistake goes like this : Let T be a untiary operator and |a_i> (i=1,...n) a basis then the matrix elements satisfy,
<a_i|T|a_k>=<a_k|T^{\dag}|a_i>*=<a_k|T^{-1}|a_i>*
what a did not realize was that the matriz elementes in the basis |a_i> are <a_i|T|a_k> only if the basis is orthonomal.

Oops, I didn't realize that myself. :redface:

1. What is a unitary operator/matrix?

A unitary operator/matrix is a type of linear transformation in linear algebra. It is defined as an operator/matrix that preserves the inner product of vectors. This means that the length of a vector and the angle between two vectors remain the same after being transformed by a unitary operator/matrix.

2. How is a unitary operator/matrix different from other types of linear transformations?

A unitary operator/matrix is different from other linear transformations because it preserves the length and angle of vectors, while other transformations may change these properties. In addition, unitary operators/matrices have the special property that their inverse is equal to their conjugate transpose.

3. What are some practical applications of unitary operators/matrices?

Unitary operators/matrices have many practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and data compression. They are also commonly used in computer graphics and image processing.

4. How do you determine if a matrix is unitary?

To determine if a matrix is unitary, you can check the following conditions:

• The columns of the matrix must be orthonormal, meaning that each column is a unit vector and all columns are orthogonal to each other.
  • The rows of the matrix must also be orthonormal.
  • The matrix must be square.
  • The inverse of the matrix must be equal to its conjugate transpose.

5. Can any matrix be converted into a unitary matrix?

Yes, any square matrix can be converted into a unitary matrix by using a process known as diagonalization. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix and using them to construct a diagonal matrix, which is then converted into a unitary matrix by multiplying it with a unitary transformation matrix.