Good Physics Documentaries - Find Out What to Watch Now!

• Thread starter T.O.E Dream
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for science documentaries and films. The main focus is on physics, but other topics such as philosophy, mathematics, and history are also mentioned. Some suggestions include "Newton's Dark Secrets," "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, "Gymkata," "Absolute Zero," "Little Boy and Fat Man," "The Arrow," "Time Warp," "Universe," and "Dangerous Knowledge." Some users also recommend checking out Teach12 and YouTube for more educational videos. The conversation also touches on the topic of a documentary about someone getting their PhD, with one suggestion being "Dark Matter."
T.O.E Dream
I'm really bored, does any have a good physics documentary. I've watched a lot of the good ones but maybe I haven't seen one of them.

Sorry I don't know where to put this, so can anyone move it the right spot?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's Dark Secrets.

Basically the life and times of Newton. Eventually gets into his little-known dabbling in alchemy.

flatmaster said:
Newton's Dark Secrets.

Basically the life and times of Newton. Eventually gets into his little-known dabbling in alchemy.

I've watched it. I guess when i say physics doc. I really mean any science documentary. For example, physics, philosophy, mathematics.

These are not documentaries but it might interest you: http://www.teach12.com

They have some killer layman-type courses on several scientific topics. I've bought 4 of them. I especially recommend the one by Alex Fillippenko. Now there's a guy who loves science and has an incredible ability to teach.

If you go to Hulu you can watch for free Carl Sagan's Cosmos series ( http://www.hulu.com/cosmos ) and some PBS Nova episodes ( http://www.hulu.com/nova ). If you go to YouTube you can watch (in ten-minute installments) Gymkata, a documentary on how the U.S. government fused gymnastics and karate to help further its Star Wars missile defense system ( ). You can also find a quick summary of that documentary ( ) as well as a clip from its most intellectually stimulating sequence ( ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished watching absolute zero.

And, it's preety good!

There was a great movie which I believe was called 'Little Boy and Fat Man', depicting the development of the atomic bomb.
Also, if you aren't averse to Canuck productions, there a docudrama (some made up dialogue and a couple of characters fused into one) all about the Avro Arrow (which was the most superior aircraft on the face of the planet at the time). I think that it's available from CBC television if not on the net. Most of the actor-duplicated real people involved in the project went on to design the Apollo mission, the Concorde, the Shuttle, and a lot of other things. (The lunar lander used by Apollo was originally designed to be launched from the Arrow.) It's a fascinating study of both (simplified) aeronautical engineering and the stupidity of politics. (If you have trouble finding it, Google Dan Ackroyd (who starred in it) and you'll probably find some links to it.

The movie is called "The Arrow"

maverick_starstrider said:
The movie is called "The Arrow"

Quite right. That's the name that I wrote on my video tape of the TV showing, but I wasn't sure if it was the official title. Thanks.

you may watch TIME WARP as well...it shows things around us in slow motion...it's entertaining and educational at the same time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9fCPhspOCQ

Try UNIVERSE now on the history channel if it's available where you are...quite good but a tad slow due to superfluous visuals for those with some background.

How about mathematics documentaries?

have there been any documentaries made that are about someone getting their phd?

Dangerous Knowledge by the BBC covers the life and work of Georg Cantor, Ludwig Boltzmann, Kurt Gödel, and Alan Turing. It was enjoyable and is on YouTube and Google Video.

> have there been any documentaries made that are about someone getting their phd?

It isn't a documentary, but Dark Matter is a mostly-fictional representation of a grad student. I'll warn you ahead of time that it's very depressing and presents a severely altered view of a real event.

1. What makes a good physics documentary?

A good physics documentary should be accurate and factual, with clear and engaging explanations of complex concepts. It should also feature high-quality visuals and animations to help illustrate the concepts being discussed.

2. Are there any recommended physics documentaries?

Yes, there are many great physics documentaries out there. Some popular ones include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, and "Particle Fever" by Mark Levinson.

3. Can physics documentaries be understood by non-scientists?

Yes, many physics documentaries are designed to make complex concepts accessible to a general audience. They often use analogies and real-world examples to help explain difficult ideas in a way that anyone can understand.

4. How can I find good physics documentaries to watch?

There are several ways to find good physics documentaries. You can search streaming platforms like Netflix or Hulu, browse through science channels on YouTube, or check out recommended lists on websites and forums dedicated to science and physics.

5. Are there any physics documentaries that cover current research and discoveries?

Yes, there are many documentaries that focus on current research and discoveries in physics. Some examples include "The Mystery of Dark Energy" by PBS Space Time, "Inside CERN" by the European Organization for Nuclear Research, and "Einstein's Quantum Riddle" by Nova.