First order differential problem question

Once you have this equation, you can then plug in the values of x and t to solve for the constant c. In summary, the differential equation for the amount of salt dissolving in a solution is dx/dt = 0.8x - 0.004x^2 and the additional 50g of salt will dissolve after a certain amount of time, which can be determined by solving the separable differential equation and substituting the given values.
cupcake
question :

As the salt KNO3 dissolves in methanol, the number x(t) of grams of the salt in a solution after t seconds satisfies the differential equation dx/dt = 0.8x - 0.004x^2

if x=50 when t=0, how long will it take for an additional 50g of salt to dissolve.

ok, here I'm encountering a problem in the differential part, I don't know how to solve the differential question.. so far, what I have done...

using separable differential equations..

1/(0.8x - 0.004 x^2) dx = dt

and integral both sides...

1/(0.8x - 0.004 x^2) dx = t+c

I don't know to integrate the right side, I use the integral calculator and the answer is

{ 5 ln x - 5 ln (x-200) } / 4 so, the whole equation will be

5 ln x - 5 ln (x-200) = 4 (t+c)

but, I think it doesn't work when I substitute x=50 when t=0. cause the ln (x-200) can't be minus..

so, please advise me

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When you perform an integral to get a ln function, it is always ln of the absolute value of the variables. So your equation should read 5 ln |x| - 5 ln |x-200} = 4 (t+c).

What is a first order differential problem?

A first order differential problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a differential equation that contains only first derivatives (hence the term "first order"). Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a variable changes over time, and they are commonly used in many scientific fields to model various processes.

What are the steps to solving a first order differential problem?

The general steps to solving a first order differential problem are as follows:

1. Identify the type of differential equation (e.g. linear, separable, exact, etc.)
  2. Rearrange the equation to isolate the dependent variable and its derivatives
  3. Integrate both sides of the equation
  4. Apply any initial conditions or boundary conditions
  5. Solve for the constant of integration to get the final solution

What are some real-world applications of first order differential problems?

First order differential problems have many real-world applications, including:

• Population growth and decay
  • Radioactive decay
  • Cooling and heating processes
  • Chemical reactions
  • Electrical circuits
  • Fluid flow

What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem in first order differential problems?

An initial value problem involves finding the solution to a differential equation with a given set of initial conditions, while a boundary value problem involves finding the solution with a given set of boundary conditions. In other words, an initial value problem has one set of conditions at a single point, while a boundary value problem has conditions at multiple points.

Can first order differential problems be solved analytically or numerically?

First order differential problems can be solved either analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve using mathematical techniques to find an exact solution, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms and computer programs to approximate a solution. In some cases, analytical solutions may not be possible, and numerical methods are required.