Where Can I Find Ferrite-Impregnated Silicone or Epoxy for RF Noise Suppression?

• Thread starter fizz_it
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking a silicone or epoxy with ferrite impregnated in it to help with RF noise in a consumer product. They have tried decoupling methods and reverse engineering, but have not found a suitable solution. They are looking for a source of ferrite silicone or powder. However, it is suggested that an electrically conductive material may be more effective and a specific product is recommended. The individual also considers using silicone with EMI shielding, but is still looking for a source of ferrite material. It is clarified that ferrite beads are not suitable for this situation and suggestions are made for alternative solutions.
fizz_it
I have a PCB inside of a consumer product that our company does not make. It is emitting a great deal of RF noise in the 350MHz band. I am looking to find a silicone or epoxy with ferrite impregnated in it.

Where can I get it?

I won't be able to get the company that makes the board to change the design in the near future, they are too big and too slow to respond. I have reverse engineered the board and constructed a schematic. I have exhaustively tried various decoupling methods to kill the noise but have not found a solution that is suitable.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't need ferrite, you need an electrically conductive material. Ferrite is great for magnetic shielding, but is terrible for RF EMI. Try something like this:

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/841.html?PHPSESSID=d41c883dc3548ebc1362bc3c166c5db7

Be sure you ground all of the indvidual coated parts to the supply ground either with wires or spring-loaded grounding fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ferrite is used for their RF lossy energy absorbing properties.

Check out - I didn't have to go very for for a good explanation
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=183148

If I put the EMI shielding on the board it will
1 - require that I connect it to ground
2 - short everything that I pour it on

I know, I know, I can put silicone on and then paint the silicone with the EMI shielding. I fact, I have a can of it right next to me, I'll try it out

But I still would like a source for ferrite silicone or ferrite powder

fizz_it said:
Ferrite is used for their RF lossy energy absorbing properties.

Check out - I didn't have to go very for for a good explanation
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=183148

If I put the EMI shielding on the board it will
1 - require that I connect it to ground
2 - short everything that I pour it on

I know, I know, I can put silicone on and then paint the silicone with the EMI shielding. I fact, I have a can of it right next to me, I'll try it out

But I still would like a source for ferrite silicone or ferrite powder

No, ferrite beads are meant to keep long cables from acting like antenna and radiating the RF noise. In a way, it's meant to plug the RF leaks (from the cables coming out of your shielded enclosure). The stuff Negitron linked to is meant to coat the inside of a plastic enclosure, thus leaving enough metal that there's RF suppression due to skin-depth effects. Or you could just use a metal enclosure.

1. What is Ferrite Impregnated Silicone?

Ferrite impregnated silicone is a type of silicone material that has been infused with ferrite particles. Ferrite is a type of magnetic material that allows the silicone to have unique properties, such as increased flexibility and conductivity.

2. What are the benefits of using Ferrite Impregnated Silicone?

There are several benefits to using ferrite impregnated silicone, including improved electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding, increased flexibility and durability, and enhanced thermal conductivity.

3. How is Ferrite Impregnated Silicone made?

Ferrite impregnated silicone is made by mixing ferrite particles with liquid silicone material and then curing it to form a solid silicone sheet or molded part. The amount and type of ferrite used can vary depending on the desired properties of the final product.

4. What industries commonly use Ferrite Impregnated Silicone?

Ferrite impregnated silicone is commonly used in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, automotive, and aerospace. It is often used in products that require EMI shielding, such as cables, gaskets, and seals.

5. Is Ferrite Impregnated Silicone safe to use?

Yes, ferrite impregnated silicone is safe to use. The ferrite particles used are typically non-toxic and the silicone material is biocompatible. However, it is always important to follow proper safety precautions when handling any type of material.