Is the product of two sine functions always real-valued?

In summary, The conversation discusses Euler's Identity and the interesting finding that when multiplied by 2*i, it becomes a real number for any complex number z. The conversation also clarifies that e-ix and eix are complex conjugates when x is real, but not always otherwise. There is no mistake in the finding.
Edwin
Hi, I was playing around with Euler's Identity, and I found something (or at least I think I found something) interesting:

It is a well known identity
sin(z) = [exp(iz) - exp(-iz)]/(2*i), where z is any complex number, exp is the complex exponential function, and i is the imaginary constant.

So if we bring the 2*i upstairs, we get

2*i*sin(z) = exp(iz) - exp(-iz) (2)

From (2), we can see that

-4*sin(z)*sin(w) = [exp(iz) - exp(-iz)]*[exp(iw) - exp(-iw) ]

= exp[i(z+w)] +exp[-i(z+w)] - (exp[i(z-w)] + exp[-i(z-w)] )
Since exp[-i(z+w)] is the complex conjugate of exp[i(z+w)], and exp[-i(z-w)] is the complex conjugate of exp[i(z-w)], we have

exp[i(z+w)] +exp[-i(z+w)] - (exp[i(z-w)] + exp[-i(z-w)] )

=2RealPart{exp[i(z+w)]} - 2RealPart{exp[i(z-w)]}, which is real for every complex w and z.

Is this really true? Am I making some mistake here?

Inquisitively,

Edwin G. Schasteen

Physics news on Phys.org
eix and e-ix are complex conjugates when x is real, but not often otherwise.

Hi Hurkyl,

Thank you! That makes a lot more sense now.

Best Regards,

Edwin

1. What is a sine function?

A sine function is a mathematical function that describes a smooth, repetitive oscillation. It is based on the ratio of the length of the side opposite an acute angle in a right triangle to the length of the hypotenuse.

2. What does it mean for a function to be real-valued?

A function is considered real-valued if all of its inputs and outputs are real numbers. In other words, the function produces a real number for every input value.

3. Can the product of two sine functions be complex-valued?

Yes, the product of two sine functions can be complex-valued. This can occur if one or both of the sine functions have complex inputs, or if the amplitude or frequency of one or both functions is complex.

4. Are there any exceptions to the product of two sine functions being real-valued?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the product of two sine functions being real-valued. These include when one or both of the functions have complex inputs, or if the amplitude or frequency of one or both functions is complex.

5. How can I determine if the product of two sine functions is real-valued?

You can determine if the product of two sine functions is real-valued by checking if both functions have real inputs and real amplitudes and frequencies. If this is the case, then the product will also be real-valued.