Temperature's affect on frequency

• Thread starter mhmil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the marching band member's flute will experience a decrease in frequency when played outside on a chilly day compared to when it was tuned indoors in a warmer room. This change in temperature causes a 3% decrease in the frequency played by the flute.
mhmil

Homework Statement

A marching band member tunes her flute indoors in a 26 oC room. She then goes outside to play on a chilly 4 oC day in January. What percent change does this cause in the frequency played by her flute?)

Homework Equations

v = f(Lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the wavelength will not change with temperature. The speed of the sound does so I need to use an equation that uses wavelength, freq, and wave speed.

I'm struggling with this. I calculated the speeds at 347.6 for 26 degrees C, and 337.4 for 4 degrees C. I chose the frequency at random as a 'C' she was tuning the flute to, the freq of this is 16.35. That's as far as I've gotten.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm new to this forum so if this is posted in the wrong place or I've formatted it incorrectly, I apologize and if you could put it in the right direction that was would great!

Thanks for any help.

You have done it correctly.

As you have said, the wavelength remains constant. So
v2 = f2*λ
v1 = f1*λ
take the ratio
v2/v1 = f2/f1
1 - v2/v1 = 1 - f2/f1
Now find the percenatge change in the frequency.

rl.bhat said:
You have done it correctly.

As you have said, the wavelength remains constant. So
v2 = f2*λ
v1 = f1*λ
take the ratio
v2/v1 = f2/f1
1 - v2/v1 = 1 - f2/f1
Now find the percenatge change in the frequency.

But how do I find V2=F2*λ if I don't know λ? Should I just select a wavelength at random? Like 1 meter?

And how does V2/V1 = F2/F1 if the frequencies are the same?

Strugging to understand how I can find the percentage change in the frequency.

Thanks so much for helping me so far. I've been out of school for 8 years and am so very confused.

mhmil said:
But how do I find V2=F2*λ if I don't know λ? Should I just select a wavelength at random? Like 1 meter?

And how does V2/V1 = F2/F1 if the frequencies are the same?

Strugging to understand how I can find the percentage change in the frequency.

Thanks so much for helping me so far. I've been out of school for 8 years and am so very confused.
When the temperature changes, the length of the flute does not change. So the wave length does not change, because it depends on the length of the flute. So the frequency changes.

rl.bhat said:
When the temperature changes, the length of the flute does not change. So the wave length does not change, because it depends on the length of the flute. So the frequency changes.

Okay, still not understanding it I guess. How do I find the change in frequency? I have so far that

347.6/16.35 = 21.260 = λ1
337.4/16.35 = 20.640 = λ2

So the equation V=fλ comes out to

347.6=16.35*21.260
337.4=16.35*20.640

These work out obviously. I just don't understand how to find the change in frequency or how temperature effects it.

337.4/347.6 = f2/f1
1- 337.4/347.6 = 1 - f2/f1
(10.2/347.6)*100 = ( 1 - f2/f1)*100
Find the percent change in the frequency.

1. How does temperature affect the frequency of sound waves?

As temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This means that sound waves will have a higher frequency or pitch at higher temperatures.

2. Does temperature affect the frequency of electromagnetic waves?

Yes, temperature does affect the frequency of electromagnetic waves. As temperature increases, the atoms and molecules in a substance will vibrate more, causing the frequency of electromagnetic waves to increase as well.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and the frequency of a wave?

The relationship between temperature and frequency depends on the type of wave. For sound waves, as temperature increases, frequency also increases. For electromagnetic waves, as temperature increases, wavelength decreases, causing frequency to increase.

4. Can temperature affect the resonant frequency of an object?

Yes, temperature can affect the resonant frequency of an object. As the temperature of an object increases, its particles vibrate more, causing its resonant frequency to increase.

5. How does temperature affect the frequency of a pendulum?

Temperature can affect the frequency of a pendulum by changing the length of the pendulum. As temperature increases, the length of the pendulum will also increase, causing the frequency to decrease. This is due to the change in the gravitational force acting on the pendulum.