Scheduling two different things to learn

• Thread starter thrill3rnit3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scheduling
In summary: Well, I'm not a college student yet, still a high school kid.I'm preparing for this thing called the Academic Decathlon. I have to learn 5 subject areas for the competition (history, science, english, music, art...i'm counting out math b/c I already know most of the stuff that's going to be on the test). Now, I only have until February to prepare, so my plan is to study 2 subjects a month. I wish I can read more subjects each day, but my school load won't let me.So I was wondering if I should do it alternately, or doing 1 subject for 2 weeks straight and moving on to the next. If only my school
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
I'm planning to learn two different things for this month. Due to time constraints and other factors, however, I am only able to read on one of them each day.

My question then is that would it be better if I learned the 1st material first for half the month, and then go on to the other one? Or would it be better if I alternated between the two every day? Both would give roughly the same amount of time to learn each one (about 15 days or so), and I figured that that is enough time to learn the material. I am just not sure whether I should read and learn each material straight for 15 days or if I should alternate between the two.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

For me, learning something new requires something akin to digestion time. You read it once or twice, try some problems. Then close the book, walk away from it, let it simmer. Come back to it the next day, and it's so much easier!

So if I were in your position, I would mix it up. A bit of the first subject, a break, a bit of the second subject, a break...repeat.

Of course you know best how you learn.

lisab said:
So if I were in your position, I would mix it up. A bit of the first subject, a break, a bit of the second subject, a break...repeat.

Of course you know best how you learn.

I just feel like if say, I read the first thing today, and then read the other (which is a totally unrelated topic) tomorrow, I wouldn't have that feeling of continuity in the learning process.

On the other hand, if I study one subject straight for half a month, and then go to the next, I feel like I'm going to forget the 1st subject after working through the 2nd one.

thrill3rnit3 said:
I just feel like if say, I read the first thing today, and then read the other (which is a totally unrelated topic) tomorrow, I wouldn't have that feeling of continuity in the learning process.

On the other hand, if I study one subject straight for half a month, and then go to the next, I feel like I'm going to forget the 1st subject after working through the 2nd one.

Hmm...do you have that issue with normally scheduled college classes? If not, perhaps that would be a reasonable approach, like you were taking two classes in a short quarter. Have your Monday-Wednesday-Friday class, and your Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday class.

And sleep all day Sunday :wink:.

lisab said:
Hmm...do you have that issue with normally scheduled college classes? If not, perhaps that would be a reasonable approach, like you were taking two classes in a short quarter. Have your Monday-Wednesday-Friday class, and your Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday class.

And sleep all day Sunday :wink:.

Well, I'm not a college student yet, still a high school kid.

I'm preparing for this thing called the Academic Decathlon. I have to learn 5 subject areas for the competition (history, science, english, music, art...i'm counting out math b/c I already know most of the stuff that's going to be on the test). Now, I only have until February to prepare, so my plan is to study 2 subjects a month. I wish I can read more subjects each day, but my school load won't let me.

So I was wondering if I should do it alternately, or doing 1 subject for 2 weeks straight and moving on to the next. If only my school load will let me I wouldn't have been in this situation.

1. How do I prioritize what to learn first?

Prioritizing what to learn first is important in order to effectively manage your time and resources. One approach is to evaluate the urgency and importance of each task. Urgent tasks should be prioritized over non-urgent tasks, and important tasks should be prioritized over less important ones. It can also be helpful to consider the potential impact and benefits of each task.

2. Is it better to focus on one thing at a time or multitask?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and learning style. Some people may find it more effective to focus on one thing at a time in order to fully grasp the concepts and avoid distractions. Others may prefer to multitask in order to keep their learning varied and increase efficiency. It's important to experiment and find what works best for you.

3. How do I create a schedule that is realistic and manageable?

Creating a realistic and manageable schedule involves setting realistic expectations and being honest about the time and effort required for each task. It's important to leave room for breaks and unexpected interruptions. It can also be helpful to break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks.

4. How can I stay motivated and on track with my schedule?

Maintaining motivation can be a challenge when learning multiple things at once. One strategy is to set specific goals and regularly track your progress. It can also be helpful to find an accountability partner or join a study group to stay motivated and on track. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for completing tasks can help maintain motivation.

5. Can I schedule time for review and reflection?

Yes, it's important to schedule time for review and reflection in order to reinforce your learning and identify areas for improvement. This can also help prevent burnout and allow for a more holistic and effective learning experience. Prioritizing time for review and reflection can ultimately lead to better retention and understanding of the material.