Why do Parallel Mirrors produce infinite mirrors?

In summary, when two mirrors are placed parallel to each other, they can produce an infinite number of images in an infinite amount of time. This is because the image formed in the first mirror reflects off the second mirror, creating a second image which then reflects off the first mirror and so on. This process continues infinitely, resulting in an infinite number of images. However, in reality, this process would take an extremely large amount of time and the images would become smaller and farther away. This phenomenon is explained by the laws of reflection.
MforceXXII

Homework Statement

Hi, I've got this question that is asking why mirrors placed in parallel will produce an infinite number of images.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I think is that the image formed in the first mirror would reflect off the second mirror, forming a second image which would then reflect off the first mirror and so on.

The problem here is that I have no idea if this is correct (I couldn't find anything in my textbox or on the Net) and also , if it is correct, I need a clearer way of explaining it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From where shall I start? Do you know the laws of reflection?

ehild

Plane Mirrors placed facing each other (parallel) actually does not produce infinite images, It will though in infinite time.
Say the guy with the phone in that picture leaned on one mirror while the other is placed just over a metre in front. His image(of his anterior aspect that is) will be formed after approximately 1/300,000,000 second. Image of his back will take a further 1/900,000,000 seconds more if he is one foot deep. Now in one second alone we have about 300,000,000 (300 million) images. After just half a minute you'll have enough images to keep you occupied for over 70 years if you can manage to count four images a second. Nothing said of the images behind you. Well, that seems like infinity to us.

Like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=25335&stc=1&d=1272048884.png

Note that image1 is the place where the biggest reflection will be seen. This is the reflection of the object in the left mirror. image2 is the reflection of image 1 in the right mirror. The next image is the reflection of image2 in the left mirror again, but it's to the left and doesn't fit in the picture. The images you see. will be getting farther away and smaller.

Attachments

• reflection.png
    reflection.png
    3 KB · Views: 3,593

1. Why do parallel mirrors produce infinite mirrors?

Parallel mirrors produce infinite mirrors because of the phenomenon of multiple reflections. When two parallel mirrors are facing each other, light bounces back and forth between them, creating an infinite number of reflections.

2. How does the angle of the mirrors affect the infinite mirrors?

The angle of the mirrors does not affect the creation of infinite mirrors. As long as the mirrors are parallel, the phenomenon of multiple reflections will occur.

3. Can any type of mirror produce infinite mirrors?

Yes, any type of mirror can produce infinite mirrors as long as they are parallel to each other. This includes flat, concave, and convex mirrors.

4. Are there any real-life applications of infinite mirrors?

Infinite mirrors are commonly used in optical illusions and in the entertainment industry, such as in funhouses and magic shows. They can also be used in scientific experiments to study the properties of light and reflection.

5. Is there a limit to the number of reflections in parallel mirrors?

Technically, there is no limit to the number of reflections in parallel mirrors. However, as the light bounces back and forth between the mirrors, it becomes weaker with each reflection. Eventually, the reflections will become too faint to see, but theoretically, they can continue infinitely.