Cost free physics journals for authors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the cost of publishing papers in physics journals. While some journals charge authors for publishing, there are also journals, such as APS journals, that do not charge as long as the paper is submitted in a preferred electronic format. However, page charges are still common in the field of astrophysics. The conversation also mentions a form for publication charges, but the purpose of this form is unclear.
SuperStringboy
Cost free physics journals for authors??

if i m not wrong Journals like Physics review a,b,c,d charge from authors to publish papers. But is there good journals which don't charge from authors? What about Journal of High energy physics and European physics journal? Do they also charge? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org

No, APS journals (PRA, PRL etc) do not charge you as long as you submit your paper in one of their preferred electronic formats (Latex, Word etc)

I don't think there are that many journals that charge you for publishing papers any more, and those who did so in the past (which as far as I remembered included APS) did so on an voluntary basis; the policy was essentially that those who could afford to pay should do so (i.e. authors from "rich" research groups were effectively subsidizing authors from e.g. poorer countries that did not have much money)

Actually, in my field (astrophysics) page charges are still very common, as I recently learned.

SuperStringboy said:
ok. Thanks. But what is it ?
http://forms.aps.org/general/pubchg-per.html
i m confused.

I have no idea, I've never heard of ST-PER before.
But I've published several papers in APS journals (PRL. PRB) and I don't think I've ever been asked to pay any charges (although I am not sure about the first paper I published in PRL, that was in 2001 and we might have paid something then). My last paper was published in PRB yesterday(online) and I did the paperwork only a couple of weeks ago, no charges.

It could of course differ from journal to journal,maybe they charge for journals with free access?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks. :)

1. What are cost-free physics journals for authors?

Cost-free physics journals for authors are journals that do not require any fees for publishing an article. This means that authors do not have to pay any charges for submitting, reviewing, or publishing their research.

2. Are cost-free physics journals reliable?

Yes, cost-free physics journals can be reliable. These journals still undergo a rigorous peer-review process to ensure the quality and validity of the research being published. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the reputation and credibility of the specific journal before submitting your work.

3. How can I find cost-free physics journals?

There are several ways to find cost-free physics journals for authors. One way is to search online using keywords such as "cost-free physics journals" or "no fee physics journals". You can also check with your university or research institution for a list of recommended open access journals.

4. Can I publish my research in a cost-free physics journal if I have funding?

Yes, you can still publish your research in a cost-free physics journal even if you have funding. Some funding agencies may have specific requirements for publishing, so it is important to check with them beforehand. However, many funding agencies support open access publishing and may even require it.

5. Are there any benefits to publishing in a cost-free physics journal?

Yes, there are several benefits to publishing in a cost-free physics journal. Firstly, your research will be accessible to a wider audience as these journals are open access. This can increase the visibility and impact of your work. Additionally, publishing in a cost-free journal can save you and your institution money, as there are no fees involved.