What are the quantum numbers for the three lowest degenerate energy states?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the quantum numbers for the three lowest energy states with the same energy. The formula for energy is given using LaTeX and the individual values for n1 and n2 are changed to find possible combinations. It is suggested to list out different values for n1 and n2 to find a pattern and solve the problem. The conversation ends with the person understanding the solution and finding the correct combination.
w3390

Homework Statement

Find the quantum numbers of the three lowest states that have the same energy. (Enter the quantum numbers for the three states in increasing order of n1, using the format n1,n2.)

Homework Equations

En1n2=[(hbar)^2/(2m)]*[(pi)^2/(L^2)]*[(n1)^2+(n2)^2]
- Sorry about the formula; I tried entering it using LaTeX but that failed

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused about how to find the three lowest energy states when I only have two quantum numbers. For example, the question I answered before this wanted the two lowest energy states that were degenerate, so I entered E1,2=E2,1 and it was correct. How am I supposed to come up with three different degenerate levels with only two quantum numbers? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
here's some tex
[tex] E_{n_1,n_2}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\pi^2}{L^2(n_1^2+n_2^2)} [/tex]

so only n1 & n2 change, i would start by listing out some of the energies, or equivalently teh first few values fro different copmbinatinos of n1 & n2 & see if anything pops out:
[ext] (n_1^2+n_2^2) [/tex]

Last edited:
Kind of a funny question, but you want find a number N that can be written in three different ways, as (n1)^2+(n2)^2, (n2)^2+(n1)^2 where n1 and n2 are different, and as (n3)^2+(n3)^2. From the last one it follows that N is two times a perfect square. So possibilities for N are 2, 8, 18, 32, 50, 72, 98,... One of those works. Can you find it?

Okay I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I don't. Will I end up with two combinations that are just opposite and one that is different than the first two.

Okay, nevermind I figured that out.

What are degenerate energy levels?

Degenerate energy levels refer to the energy levels of a system that have the same energy value. This is often seen in quantum mechanical systems where multiple states have the same energy value.

Why do degenerate energy levels occur?

Degenerate energy levels occur due to the symmetries and constraints of a system. If a system has symmetries that result in the same energy value for multiple states, or if there are constraints that limit the possible energy values, degeneracy can occur.

What is the significance of degenerate energy levels?

Degenerate energy levels play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of quantum mechanical systems. They can affect the stability and reactivity of atoms and molecules, and also influence the spectral lines observed in spectroscopy.

How are degenerate energy levels lifted?

Degenerate energy levels can be lifted by breaking the symmetries or constraints of a system. This can be achieved through the application of external fields or by introducing perturbations to the system. As a result, the degeneracy is broken and the energy levels become distinct.

Can degenerate energy levels exist in classical systems?

No, degenerate energy levels are a phenomenon that is unique to quantum mechanical systems. Classical systems do not exhibit quantization of energy levels, and therefore do not have the same symmetries and constraints that can lead to degeneracy.