Find Science Illustration Contracts - eLance & Beyond

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation is about a freelance website called eLance where individuals can bid for contracts in various fields such as web development and print design. One person is looking for suggestions on where they can find opportunities to showcase their skills as a science illustrator, including on eLance. They mention being open to creating anything from simple graphs to more complex illustrations and are limited by their location in Canada. Suggestions for other platforms, such as Craigslist and eBay, are also mentioned.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Has anyone heard of eLance? It's a site where you can bid for contracts depending on your vocation (web dev, print design, etc.)

I wish to build up a port folio of science illustrations. There isn't much call for that on eLance, so I'd like to cast my net wider.

I would be interested in any suggestions and/or pushes in the right direction to find places where I can flog my trade as a science illustrator. (That includes here. If you have diagrams or illos you want or need, I'm your man.)

They can be anything from simple graphs for school textbooks to complex people shots or photo retouches.

I am in Canada. That might limit my ability to find markets in the States.

Physics news on Phys.org
Craigslist has a services section, and ebay allows selling services but they have more strict guidelines.

As a fellow scientist, I completely understand your desire to build a portfolio of science illustrations and expand your market beyond eLance. There are definitely other options available to you in the world of freelance science illustration.

One option is to join professional organizations such as the Association of Medical Illustrators or the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators. These organizations often have job boards and networking opportunities that can connect you with potential clients.

Additionally, there are many websites and online platforms specifically for freelance science illustrators. Some examples include Science-Art.com, Scienceillustration.org, and ScienceIllustration.net. These sites allow you to create a profile and showcase your work, making it easier for potential clients to find you.

You can also utilize social media to market your services. Platforms like Instagram and Twitter can be great for showcasing your work and connecting with potential clients. You can also join online communities and forums for science enthusiasts, as they may have a need for science illustrations for their projects.

Lastly, don't underestimate the power of networking and word-of-mouth. Reach out to colleagues, friends, and acquaintances in the science field and let them know about your services. They may know someone who is in need of a science illustrator and can recommend you.

Overall, there are many opportunities out there for freelance science illustrators beyond eLance. Don't be afraid to explore different avenues and market yourself effectively to reach potential clients. Good luck in your search!

1. How can I find science illustration contracts on eLance?

To find science illustration contracts on eLance, you can begin by creating a profile on the website and specifying your skills and expertise in science illustration. Then, you can search for relevant jobs by using keywords such as "science illustration" or "scientific illustration" in the job search bar. You can also browse through the "Design & Creative" category to find science illustration projects.

2. What other platforms can I use to find science illustration contracts besides eLance?

Besides eLance, you can also use other freelancing platforms such as Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr to find science illustration contracts. These platforms have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including science and technology.

3. How can I stand out as a science illustrator and win contracts?

To stand out as a science illustrator and win contracts, you can showcase your portfolio of previous work, highlight your expertise and experience in science illustration, and provide a clear and detailed proposal for each project. It is also important to continuously improve your skills and keep up with industry trends.

4. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications for science illustration contracts?

The requirements and qualifications for science illustration contracts may vary depending on the project and the client's needs. However, having a strong background in science, as well as skills in digital illustration and graphic design, can be beneficial in securing contracts in this field.

5. How can I negotiate a fair rate for science illustration contracts?

To negotiate a fair rate for science illustration contracts, you should research the average rates for similar projects and consider your level of expertise and experience. You can also discuss the project scope and timeline with the client to determine a reasonable rate. It is important to value your skills and time, but also be open to negotiation and finding a mutually beneficial agreement.