Mourning the Loss of My Friend: Reflections on Death

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, Gale's friend died recently and it was a very traumatic experience. The whole community was shaken. At least 10 peers watched him die, i think it was even more. It was a car accident very tragic. But its interesting to see people react. Gale found something particularly interesting in the post and wanted to share her thoughts on death, mourning, and life. She mentioned her "transgressions" throughout the mourning period and how they affected her. She also wanted to share what other things have a similar effect and why.
Gale
My friend died recently. Its been a very traumatic experience. The whole community was shaken. At least 10 peers watched him die, i think it was even more. it was a car accident very tragic. But its interesting to see people react.

i myself was a wreck. He was a good friend of mine, but i was less a friend to him. We were really good friends last year, but then things died down a little. we never stopped talking though. I missed him a lot, but i cried more for myself than him. Unfortunately, we had a weird relationship that most people weren't aware of. And it made it hard for me to relate to anyone or them to me. I was sorry for myself because of this. I felt invalidated and misunderstood. Utterly alone. It took me a few days to accept that he was gone, and to appreciate the life that he did have. It took me at least two months to stop greiving for myself. And I'm only hoping that I've stopped.

its been interesting to witness my own transgression through the stages of mourning, and to notice which stages i tend to dwell on. Unfortunately, I've been a bit too consumed with my own response to really notice anyone elses. But the process is interesting nonetheless.

i'm just looking for other people's insight. What to you think of death or mourning or even life?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first I offer my condolences, Gale. I'm sorry about your friend.

I found something particularly interesting in your post. You mentioned your "transgressions" throughout the mourning period. To what transgressions were you referring?

I also wanted to point out that it is not unnatural or wrong to feel sorry for yourself when a friend dies. After all (and I mean this in the best sense), your friend's not going to be able to appreciate any sorrow you direct at him. He's not conscious anymore. So, instead, we naturally feel sorrow for those now bereaved of his company and friendship, and that includes you.

As to death, I take comfort in the words of King Solomon: "For the living are conscious that they will die, but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they any more have wages..." (Ecclesiastes 9:5). So, while you suffer along with those close to him, he can no longer experience pain or suffering.

Mentat said:
I found something particularly interesting in your post. You mentioned your "transgressions" throughout the mourning period. To what transgressions were you referring?
QUOTE]

Well, after his death i was just really angry at everything and everyone. It was interesting to witness the sorts of things i did in hatred and anger. I don't care to mention specifics really. But for someone like me, it isn't often that i lose my cool demeaner, even in high stress situations. It amazes me that his death had such a remarkable effect. especially considering I'm usually mild mannered and well poised.

His death was a catylst of emotions, and i doubt i'd have believed that if you'd said so before he died. I've handled other people's deaths well enough, after all its a natural part of life. I just wonder why his perhaps was so detrimental.
Also i wonder, what other sorts of things have a similar effect, and why.

What is grief and why do we experience it?

Grief is a natural and complex emotional response to loss, particularly the loss of someone we care about. It is a process that involves a range of emotions, thoughts, and behaviors. We experience grief because we have formed a strong attachment to the person who has passed away, and their absence creates a deep sense of loss and longing.

How long does the grieving process last?

The grieving process is different for everyone and there is no set timeline. It is a highly individual experience and can last for weeks, months, or even years. The intensity and duration of grief can also vary depending on the individual's relationship with the person who has passed away and their own coping mechanisms.

What are some ways to cope with the loss of a friend?

There is no right or wrong way to cope with the loss of a friend. Some people find comfort in talking to others, attending support groups, or seeking therapy. Others may find solace in engaging in activities that remind them of their friend, such as looking at old photos or writing letters. It is important to find healthy ways to express and process your emotions.

How can I support a friend who is grieving the loss of their friend?

Everyone grieves differently, so it is important to be patient and understanding. Offer your support by listening without judgment, checking in regularly, and offering practical help if needed. Avoid telling them how they should feel or comparing their grief to your own experiences. Simply be there for them and let them know that you are there to support them through this difficult time.

Is it normal to still feel grief after a long time has passed?

Grief is a unique and personal experience, and there is no set timeline for when it should end. It is not uncommon for people to still feel grief years after the loss of a friend. This does not mean that they have not moved on or that they are not coping well. Grief is a lifelong process and it is normal to continue to feel moments of sadness and longing for our loved ones who have passed away.