Impulse problem (intro mechanics)

The only thing I would suggest is to round your answers to the appropriate number of significant figures. Otherwise, the numbers you have calculated are correct. In summary, a 0.26 kg rubber ball dropped from a height of 1.7 m onto the floor has a final speed of 3.6 m/s. The impulse imparted by the floor to the ball is 2.4 kg · m/s and the ball is in contact with the floor for 0.14 seconds.
acherentia

Homework Statement

A rubber ball (mass 0.26 kg) is dropped from a height of 1.7 m onto the floor. Just after bouncing from the floor, the ball has a speed of 3.6 m/s.
(a) What is the magnitude and direction of the impulse imparted by the floor to the ball? Magnitude ? kg · m/s

(b) If the average force of the floor on the ball is 17 N, how long is the ball in contact with the floor?

Homework Equations

dp=Fdt=m(vf-vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)the unknown is the initial speed of the dropping ball under free fall:

vi= sqrt (2 x 9.8 x 1.7) = 5.8

delta p= 0.26 (3.6--5.8)=2.4

b) dt=dp/Fave=0.14 s

Please let me know what is wrong here, my electronic assignment system is telling me the numbers are wrong. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers all seem right to me.

Your calculations seem correct. However, there may be a discrepancy with the given values. Please double check the values provided for the initial and final speeds of the ball, as well as the average force of the floor. Also, make sure to use consistent units throughout your calculations. If the issue persists, it would be best to consult with your instructor for further clarification.

1. What is the definition of impulse in mechanics?

Impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object due to the application of a force over a certain period of time.

2. How is impulse related to the concept of momentum?

Impulse and momentum are directly related, as impulse is equal to the change in momentum of an object. This means that a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum.

3. What is the equation for impulse in mechanics?

The equation for impulse is impulse = force x time, or J = FΔt. This means that the magnitude of the impulse is directly proportional to the magnitude of the force and the duration of the force.

4. How does the direction of the force affect impulse?

The direction of the force affects the direction of the impulse, which in turn affects the direction of the change in momentum. If the force and impulse are in the same direction, the momentum of the object will increase. If they are in opposite directions, the momentum will decrease.

5. How is the concept of impulse used in real-world applications?

The concept of impulse is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as sports, car safety systems, and rocket propulsion. In sports, athletes use the principles of impulse to increase the force and momentum of their movements. In car safety systems, airbags are designed to increase the time of impact and decrease the force to reduce the impulse and protect the occupants. In rocket propulsion, the thrust generated by the engines creates a large impulse to propel the rocket forward.