Michael Jackson's Skin Explained

• Thread starter Jin314159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skin
In summary, Michael Jackson's skin became pale due to a medical condition called vitiligo, where the immune system attacks the pigment-producing cells in the skin. He chose to make his entire skin white instead of having white patches. Some sources suggest he may have used a prescription drug called Benoquin to remove remaining pigment from his skin. While some believe vitiligo is an autoimmune disorder, others argue that it is caused by an accumulation of hydrogen peroxide in the skin. His children may have light skin due to their mother's genetics and being covered when outside.
Jin314159
How did Michael Jackson's skin on his entire body get so pale? What sort of procedure can one do to change one's skin color? Also, has anyone seen Michael Jackon's children? They're also quite pale. Did they get this procedure done as well?

Biology news on Phys.org
From what I've been told and contrary to popular belief, Michael Jackson did not make his skin white because he didn't want to be black. He sufferred from a medical condition called vitiligo which apparently can only be treated by making the entire skin white.

Vetiligo: "An autoimmune skin disorder caused by attack of the immune system on the pigment-producing cells within the skin. The loss of the cells responsible for skin color result in milky white patches on the skin surface"

I believe that he opted to have all of his skin white rather than have white patches here and there.

http://itsb.ucsf.edu/~vcr/Freeze2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Crumbles, I've heard the same thing, though with celebrity rumors, it's always difficult to really know the full truth. When I heard about the vitiligo, my suspicion was that it was the reason behind Michael Jackson's signature glove on one hand. It probably started to appear on his hand and prompted him to don a glove to hide it.

I don't actually know what his children look like, I've never seen them pictured without veils of some sort covering them. If they are light-skinned, that likely is because their mother has light skin, combined with keeping them covered so completely when outside, which would keep them from getting tanned at all.

I really don't know how Michael Jackson has gone about getting his skin lighter. If you find out somewhere what was used, perhaps we can figure out how it works.

Benoquin

Some seem to think that he used a prescription drug called Benoquin to get rid of all dark that was left of his skin so he would have uniform skin colour. (How true it all is, I can't tell!) If you click here http://itsb.ucsf.edu/~vcr/Freeze2.html and scroll down to a post by David Finkelstein, it says:

"Benoquin is a prescription bleaching agent that is used for severe cases of vitiligo where there is little remaining normal pigment. Over the course of months, this topical cream will gradually and permanently remove the pigment from the skin. It was not available for several months in the U.S.A., but has recently become available again. Because of the permanent nature of the treatment, much thought should be given by the patient and dermatologist before beginning use of Benoquin. --Vail Reese, MD"

Crumbles said:
Vetiligo: "An autoimmune skin disorder caused by attack of the immune system on the pigment-producing cells within the skin.
Actually:
Clinical evaluation of a large patient group does not support the autoimmune hypothesis in vitiligo as the primary event. (Schallreuter et al, Dermatology (1994) 188: 269-275).

This page quotes scientific references on the disease http://www.avrf.org/REPLACEMENT_PAGES/treatmentsPage1.html

Apparently vitiligo patients accumulate H2O2 (hydrogenperoxide) in their skin, which bleaches the pigment.

The extend of discoloration can be extensive and follows characteristic patterns, as can be seen here http://www.makeupdni.com/images/vitiligoba.jpg

What caused the changes in Michael Jackson's skin color?

Michael Jackson suffered from a skin condition called vitiligo, a disorder that causes depigmentation of patches of skin. This condition was responsible for the noticeable changes in his skin color over the years.

What is vitiligo?

Vitiligo is a medical condition where the skin loses its pigment cells, called melanocytes, leading to the formation of white patches on different parts of the body. The exact cause of vitiligo is still a subject of research, but it's believed to be an autoimmune disorder.

Did Michael Jackson use treatments to manage his vitiligo?

Yes, it's reported that Michael Jackson used various treatments to manage his vitiligo, including makeup and skin-lightening treatments. These were used to even out his skin tone, which had become patchy due to the condition.

Is vitiligo a common condition?

Vitiligo is relatively common, affecting approximately 1% of the global population. It can affect individuals of any age, race, or gender.

Can vitiligo be cured?

There is currently no cure for vitiligo, but there are treatments that can help manage the condition. These treatments include topical medications, light therapy, and, in some cases, surgery.

How did Michael Jackson's vitiligo affect his career?

Michael Jackson's vitiligo was a source of much speculation and media attention, which sometimes overshadowed his career and musical achievements. However, he continued to be a highly influential and successful artist despite his condition.

Did Michael Jackson speak publicly about his vitiligo?

Yes, Michael Jackson publicly acknowledged his vitiligo in interviews. He explained that the condition was the reason for the changes in his skin color, seeking to clarify the public's speculation about his appearance.