Finding the tangential component of acceleration

In summary, the conversation covers the calculation of the radial component of a ball's acceleration at 2 seconds, given that it starts with a constant angular velocity of (13 rad/s) in the k direction for 0.5 seconds and then takes 4 seconds to come to a complete stop. The formula used is ar = ω^2r, where ω is the angular velocity and r is the radius. The units used are in centimeters instead of meters due to a mistake, but the radians drop out in the final calculation. The tangential part of the ordinary acceleration remains the same throughout the motion.
jumbogala
EDIT: I meant radial in the title.

Homework Statement

A ball is going around in a circle of radius 4 m.

It goes with a constant angular velocity of (13 rad/s)[tex]\hat{k}[/tex] for 0.5 s. After that, it takes 4 s to come to a complete stop.

Find the radial component of the ball's acceleration at 2 s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My book says that to use the formula ar= w2r. However, w is changing, so I don't see how I can use that!

The only thing I can think of is to find the angular acceleration:
[tex]\alpha[/tex] = w0 + [tex]\alpha[/tex]0(t)
0 = (13 rad/s) + [tex]\alpha[/tex]0(4 s). Solving for [tex]\alpha[/tex] gives -3.25 rad/s2[tex]\hat{k}[/tex]

Then I use another formula to find the angular velocity at 2 s:
wfinal = winitial + [tex]\alpha[/tex](t)
wf = (13 rad/s) + (-3.25 rad/s2)(2 s)
wf = 6.5 rad/s [tex]\hat{k}[/tex]

Then use that first formula:
ar = (6.5 rad/s)2(4 m)
ar = (169 rad/sm)[tex]\hat{k}[/tex]

Are those units correct? Really the formula for ar = dVt / dt, but is what I did ok?

Also, as an aside, the TANGENTIAL part of the angular acceleration would stay the same all the time, right? If I calculated it at 1 s, 2s, ... 4.3 s, it would not change?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jumbogala! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and an omega: ω :wink:)
jumbogala said:
… It goes with a constant angular velocity of (13 rad/s)[tex]\hat{k}[/tex] for 0.5 s. After that, it takes 4 s to come to a complete stop.

Find the radial component of the ball's acceleration at 2 s.

Your calculations are fine, except that you've misread the question …

you only have 1.5 s of acceleration at 2s. :wink:
Are those units correct? Really the formula for ar = dVt / dt, but is what I did ok?

You're right to be worried … the units in the formula v = ωr are cm/s = rad/s times cm … and in the formula a = ω2r are cm/s2 = rad2/s2 times cm … the radians are dimensionless, and they just drop out. :wink:
Also, as an aside, the TANGENTIAL part of the angular acceleration would stay the same all the time, right? If I calculated it at 1 s, 2s, ... 4.3 s, it would not change?

Not following this. :redface:

"tangential part of the angular acceleration" makes no sense.

Do you mean the tangential part of the ordinary acceleration (ie, the tangential acceleration)?

If so, then yes, you're correct … for fixed radius, that's simply dv/dt, the derivative of the speed (= r dω/dt = rα). :smile:

Thank you!

I'm confused about those units still, though. Why are we using cm, if the radius is given in m? Is that just a convention?

Also, the rad drops out for a, but if I just want to write ω, can I still write rad/s? (Instead of 1/s).

jumbogala said:
I'm confused about those units still, though. Why are we using cm, if the radius is given in m? Is that just a convention?

oh, I made a mistake … I thought the question used cm. :redface:
Also, the rad drops out for a, but if I just want to write ω, can I still write rad/s? (Instead of 1/s).

Yes, ω is rad/s. :smile:

What is the tangential component of acceleration?

The tangential component of acceleration is the component of an object's acceleration that is parallel to its velocity vector. It represents the change in the magnitude of the object's velocity as it moves along its curved path.

How do you find the tangential component of acceleration?

To find the tangential component of acceleration, you can use the formula aT = v^2 / r, where aT is the tangential acceleration, v is the magnitude of the object's velocity, and r is the radius of its curved path.

What is the difference between tangential and radial acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the object's velocity vector, while radial acceleration is the component that is perpendicular to the velocity vector and towards the center of the curved path. The two components together make up the total acceleration of the object.

Why is it important to find the tangential component of acceleration?

Finding the tangential component of acceleration is important because it helps us understand how an object's velocity is changing as it moves along its curved path. It is also necessary for calculating the total acceleration of an object and predicting its future motion.

Can the tangential component of acceleration be negative?

Yes, the tangential component of acceleration can be negative. This means that the magnitude of the object's velocity is decreasing as it moves along its curved path, and it is slowing down. A positive tangential acceleration indicates an increase in velocity and acceleration in the direction of motion.