What Is Your Strongest Emotion?

• Thread starter Brennen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emotion
In summary: i'll get in trouble if mom finds out, but if i say i stole it, she'll be mad and i'll get in trouble but i'll feel better."

What Is The Strongest Emotion?

• Greed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fear

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Hate

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Anger

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Love

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Lust

• Jealousy

• Guilt

• Regret

• Grief

• Total voters
Brennen
what do you think is the strongest human emotion? post another if I've left something important out.

Physics news on Phys.org
there is many emotions i wasn't able to fit into the poll, such as compassion, pride, pity, and many many others. sorry if there was an important one i missed. feel free to mention it.

Isn't lust and love are the same ?Is Hurt equal to Grief ?
I think it depends on situations in which you will have the strongest emotion..
This morning, my strongest emotion was...nothing mentioned up there.

I was a lot sad but then I realized things I did and then I went to school's library chatting with my friends, and now I am here to talk with you...

lust is just intense or unrestrained sexual craving. like desire, mostly sexual. love is a more tender, deep emotion, based more so on an emotional connection. there is a huge difference...

Okay what did you vote ? I will vote the same...

lol. vote from your own experiences, please.

I voted Anger
When i get angry, i will say a lot of things, and feel very sad then.
But what did you vote ?

I didn't vote. I think they are all equally strong. You can't stop any of them from happening, just learn to resist acting outwardly about it.

i voted fear. i think in my life (which is very eventful for its length) I've felt the full force of many emotions, and i think many emotions can control and consume lives, but fear is one of the only emotions everybody has. everybody is afraid of something... and it changes everybody.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear" H.P. Lovecraft

Brennen said:
lust is just intense or unrestrained sexual craving. like desire, mostly sexual. love is a more tender, deep emotion, based more so on an emotional connection. there is a huge difference...

Love is even a very vague term, because there is love for a spouse or love for family, or love for events. These are certainly distinct emotions, although I understand that you did not want to make too long of a list.
Many people use lust to describe a craving for things other than sexual things also.

The strongest emotion is one that you cannot control, it would depend on the situation which emotion is strongest. One can be overwhelmed by grief, love, anger, etc. Most people have control mechanisms and can shut or tone down certain emotions.

So it entirely depends on the psychology of the person feeling it. Maybe some emotions are so deep-routed, that they are not easy to control.. but the strength of the emotion would still depend on the situation.

It's hard if not impossible to quantitate such subjective experiences :)

i will vote fear as well. the bad experiences i have had gone through give me some negative thoughts which make me fear. fear of being critized, fear of being rejected, fear of being not good enough and ... there were many times when i was holding back because my fear. sometimes i wish i had a brain-wash machine to wash out the part inside my brain where the bad experiences were kept. then i will have the courage to stand back whenever i fall, like i didn't remember i once fell.

Last edited:
i realize i should have the post, the strongest emotion felt by each individual. i know everybody has different experiences, and different reactions to certain feelings. i know there are different types of love as well, but as you said it is hard as there are so many different emotions and a limit of 10 options. this post should really be what YOUR strongest emotion is. how vance said his is anger, and i said mine was fear. not a general strong emotion, as they vary greatly. different people for different feelings...

I've changed the title :)

Why'd you only list negative emotions?

I vote feeling of self-worth.

BobG said:
Why'd you only list negative emotions?

I vote feeling of self-worth.

I'd call that pride.

For me grief would be the strongest.
Why?
A lot of the emotions in the poll are generally caused by events that dissapear.
The loss of a loved one of loved object doesn't subside.
Its closely bound together with love, for you have to loose something/someone loved to grief.

Could also be regret.
Fear of what you could do.
Or you just hate the sound of crying (like me :D)

Or even fear of someone getting mad at you for hitting your sister.
Its egocentric, but not an uncommon emotion when you've done something that's "out of order".
Consider it the same as a little boy who's stolen a popsicle.
After a night of no sleep he tells his mother he's stolen the popsicle.
Why? Well he says he's sorry he stole it, could be true.
Most likly its a because somewhere he knows that if he says he's done it, he won't get punished.
An 8yr old probably is thinking in the lines of "oh god, now that poor shop keeper is one popsicle short", its pure self preservation.
Same as feeling bad after slapping your sis.

Self preservation, its just human nature.

LOL, living with psychology students in one hous does strange things with people :P

I will choose guilt, because of my love, I also regret...true

Brennen said:
...pride...
I'll take that one, though I will say I rarely feel strong emotions. I've only experienced strong grief three times in my life and the last time I was angry was about a year and a half ago (I can't remember the last time before that).

1. What is an emotion?

An emotion is a complex psychological state that involves a range of physiological and cognitive changes, including subjective feelings, behaviors, and physiological responses. It is often triggered by external or internal stimuli and can be influenced by personal experiences and cultural norms.

2. How is emotion measured?

Emotion can be measured through self-report questionnaires, physiological responses such as heart rate and skin conductance, and behavioral indicators such as facial expressions and body language. However, there is no single universal measure of emotion, and different methods may capture different aspects of an individual's emotional experience.

3. What is the strongest emotion?

The strongest emotion varies from person to person and can also change depending on the situation. Some may consider love, anger, fear, or joy to be their strongest emotion, while others may experience a combination of emotions simultaneously. It is important to note that all emotions serve a purpose and can be equally intense and valid.

4. Can emotions be controlled?

While we cannot control the initial emotional response, we can regulate and manage our emotions through various techniques such as deep breathing, mindfulness, and cognitive reframing. It takes time and practice to develop emotional regulation skills, but it is possible to have a healthier and more balanced emotional state.

5. How do emotions affect behavior?

Emotions can significantly influence our behavior, as they can motivate us to act in certain ways. For example, fear can lead to avoidance or fight-flight responses, while happiness can result in more social and friendly behavior. Emotions can also impact decision-making and memory, as well as our relationships with others.