What is the phase of the resultant wave when x = t = 0?

In summary: So you have to write the equation of the resultant wave asy = 14*sin(5x/m - 100t/s -1)*cos(1 rad)Yes. You are right. When x = 0 and t = 0, the amplitude of the resultant wave is 14*sin(1 rad)*cos(1 rad)And phase is -1 rad. So you have to write the equation of the resultant wave asy = 14*sin(5x/m - 100t/s -1)*cos(1 rad)In summary, when x and t are both 0, the phase of the resultant wave described by the equations y=Asin(kx-\omega(t)+\phi) and y
wrongusername

Homework Statement

Two harmonic waves are described by (pic attached). What is the phase of the resultant wave when x = t = 0?

A. 3
B. 1
C. 4
D. 2

Homework Equations

[tex]y=Asin(kx-\omega(t)+\phi)[/tex] (Single wave equation)
[tex]y=2Asin(kx)cos(\omega(t))[/tex] (Standing wave equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally chose D because the phase angle in the second equation was -2. However, then I thought about that fact that the question asked for the resultant wave. Thus, I was thinking that since both x and t are 0, the first wave equation reduces to 0 and the second to 7m sin(-2). Thus, the resultant wave equation should be only 7m sin(-2). Where do I got from there? (Is that even the correct thing to do?) :confused:

Attachments

• phase.jpg
    phase.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 979
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the resultant y1 and y2. While doing it you have to use some trigonometric simplification.
sinC +sinD = 2*sin[(C+D)/2]*cos[(C-D)/2]
Then decide the phase difference.

rl.bhat said:
Find the resultant y1 and y2. While doing it you have to use some trigonometric simplification.
sinC +sinD = 2*sin[(C+D)/2]*cos[(C-D)/2]
Then decide the phase difference.

What would be the phase difference after I've done that? (I haven't solved for the resultant wave yet, I'm just wondering how I get the phase difference after I do so)

Just solve it. The phase difference is 1.

rl.bhat said:

Thank you very much :smile:, but what I meant was, how I get the phase difference from the resultant wave function (in other words, in [tex]y=Asin(kx-\omega(t)+\phi)[/tex] I know that the phase difference is [tex]\phi[/tex], but I wasn't quite so sure what the phase is in the resultant wave equation).

I think the resultant wave equation is [tex](14m)sin(5\frac{x}{m}-100\frac{t}{s}-1)cos(1)[/tex]. I see two one's in that equation, so I still am not completely sure how to find the phase difference. Also, the question asks for the phase when x and t are both 0. How do time and position come into play? I thought the phase was a constant?

More help would be much appreciated :wink:

When you write
y = A*sin(kx- ωt + φ), φ is the starting point of the oscillation. And that is called phase. In that sense the phase of the resultant wave is 1 rad. It is not the phase difference. Even in the problem they have asked phase.
We consider phase difference when we compare two different waves. In that case, in the given problem, one wave has zero phase and other has 2 rad. The phase difference between them is 2 rad.

rl.bhat said:
When you write
y = A*sin(kx- ωt + φ), φ is the starting point of the oscillation. And that is called phase. In that sense the phase of the resultant wave is 1 rad. It is not the phase difference. Even in the problem they have asked phase.
We consider phase difference when we compare two different waves. In that case, in the given problem, one wave has zero phase and other has 2 rad. The phase difference between them is 2 rad.

rl.bhat said:

I'm all confused now :cry:

So what is, and how do I find, the phase of the resultant equation I'm trying to find?

In my post#4, I should have mentioned it as phase, not the phase difference.

rl.bhat said:
In my post#4, I should have mentioned it as phase, not the phase difference.

Thank you... can you clarify how to calculate or to find that for the phase?

wrongusername said:
Thank you... can you clarify how to calculate or to find that for the phase?
I don't know what you want to calculate.

rl.bhat said:
I don't know what you want to calculate.

The phase.

Your resultant wave is
y = 14*sin(5x/m - 100t/s -1)
When x = 0, t = 0. phase is -1 rad, and displacement is y = -14*sin(1 rad) = -11.78 m.

rl.bhat said:
Your resultant wave is
y = 14*sin(5x/m - 100t/s -1)
When x = 0, t = 0. phase is -1 rad, and displacement is y = -14*sin(1 rad) = -11.78 m.

Why is there no cosine part to the resultant wave equation? Is phase -1 or +1 rad?

wrongusername said:
Why is there no cosine part to the resultant wave equation? Is phase -1 or +1 rad?
Yes. You are right. When x = 0 and t = 0, the amplitude of the resultant wave is 14*sin(1 rad)*cos(1 rad)
And phase is -1 rad.

What is a phase of a resultant wave?

The phase of a resultant wave refers to the position of the wave at a specific point in time. It is measured in degrees or radians and indicates the point at which the wave's oscillation begins.

How is the phase of a resultant wave calculated?

The phase of a resultant wave is calculated by measuring the angle between the wave and a reference point, typically the x-axis. This angle is then converted into degrees or radians to determine the phase.

What is the difference between phase and frequency?

Phase and frequency are two distinct characteristics of a wave. While phase refers to the position of the wave at a specific point in time, frequency refers to the number of complete oscillations the wave makes in one second. They are both important in describing the behavior of a wave.

How does the phase of a resultant wave affect interference patterns?

The phase of a resultant wave plays a crucial role in determining the interference pattern that is created when two or more waves overlap. If the phases are aligned, constructive interference occurs, resulting in a larger amplitude. On the other hand, if the phases are opposite, destructive interference occurs, resulting in a smaller or even zero amplitude.

Can the phase of a resultant wave be changed?

Yes, the phase of a resultant wave can be changed by altering the starting point or frequency of the wave. This can be done by introducing a medium with a different density or by using electronic devices such as phase shifters. Changing the phase can have a significant impact on the behavior of the wave and its interference patterns.