Exploring the Wada Property in R2, R3, and R

• Thread starter tt2348
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, the Wada property is exhibited in sets that are composed of disjoint sets sharing the same boundary in the plane, and can be extended to an (n+2)-dimensional construction. In R, an example of this is A = {the points of the form 1/2n, n positive integer}, B= {the points of the form 1/(2n+1), n positive integer}, C={the points of the form -1/n, n positive integer}, with a common boundary of 0. However, the sets must also be open, connected, and have no intervals inside. It is difficult to find a topology that satisfies all of these conditions.
tt2348
What kind of sets exhibit the wada property? I know R2 does but does it extend to R3 or R itself?

Physics news on Phys.org
The lakes (or basins) of Wada are an example in the plane of 3 disjoint sets sharing the same boundary. You get an analogous (n+2)-dimensional construction by "elevating" in the additional dimensions. Namely, if B,C,D are the 3 disjoint sets in R², take B x R^n, C x R^n, D x R^n, where x is the cartesian product.

This takes care of every dimension except the first. In R, an example of 3 disjoint sets sharing the same boundary is A = {the points of the form 1/2n, n positive integer}, B= {the points of the form 1/(2n+1), n positive integer}, C={the points of the form -1/n, n positive integer}. Their common boundary being 0.

Don't the sets have to be open? Yes they do, also -1/n also has a boundary at -1, and 1/2n+1 and 1/2n have boundary points at 1/2, 1/3, so they don't have the same boundary.

Oh yes, you are right on all accounts. Plus, the sets have to be connected. So my exemple in R isn't good.

Connected open sets in R are open intervals. Clearly, no three open intervals can have a common boundary: call I_1 the interval containing -[itex]\infty[/itex] and I_2 the interval containing +[itex]\infty[/itex]. Then if I_1=(-[itex]\infty[/itex],a) and I_2=(b,
+[itex]\infty[/itex]), it must be that a=b if these two are to have the same boundary. But then I_1 u I_2 = R\{a} and so there is no place to put the third interval I_3.

I wonder if it works if we remove the connectivity condition.

I was trying to think of a topology that maybe the open sets have odd properties on R. I was told that maybe the complement of the cantor set would work , but I think that may be wrong too

Well, what odd properties are you after?

Well I'm not sure.. Odd properties that make this problem easier? But it's kind of impossible to change the fact that Any open set will have an interval

1. What is the purpose of exploring the Wada Property in R2, R3, and R?

The purpose of exploring the Wada Property in R2, R3, and R is to gather information and data about the physical and biological features of the land. This can help scientists understand the ecosystem and biodiversity of the area and make informed decisions about conservation and land management.

2. What methods are used to explore the Wada Property in R2, R3, and R?

There are various methods used to explore the Wada Property, including field surveys, remote sensing techniques, and laboratory analysis. Field surveys involve physically observing and collecting data on the land, while remote sensing techniques use satellite images or aerial photography to gather information. Laboratory analysis involves studying samples of soil, water, and vegetation to understand their characteristics and composition.

3. What types of data are collected during the exploration of the Wada Property in R2, R3, and R?

The types of data collected during the exploration of the Wada Property include information on the land's topography, soil composition, water sources, vegetation, and wildlife. Scientists may also collect data on climate, air quality, and human impacts on the land.

4. How is the data collected during the exploration of the Wada Property in R2, R3, and R used?

The data collected during the exploration of the Wada Property is used to better understand the land and its resources. This information can help in making decisions about conservation efforts, land use planning, and environmental management. It can also be used to monitor changes in the land over time and inform future research and exploration.

5. What are the potential benefits of exploring the Wada Property in R2, R3, and R?

The potential benefits of exploring the Wada Property include gaining a deeper understanding of the land's ecology and biodiversity, identifying potential threats to the ecosystem, and developing strategies for conservation and sustainable land use. This exploration can also contribute to scientific knowledge and promote environmental education and awareness.