Building a simple mobile phone

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a simple mobile phone for a graduation project on home automation using mobile technology. The topic is considered difficult and may require a deep understanding of RF and signal processing. The idea of using a SIM card is mentioned but may be reconsidered. One person suggests using a pre-made board for this project, while another suggests using a phone network and WiFi technology. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the project is close to what the original poster had in mind.
shaimaa
I was searching about the possibility of building a simple mobile phone, but I found an old topic here indicating that this is pointless and hard.

Actually I want to make a mobile phone which only receives the incoming ring and vibrates.
I am asking about the possibility of doing this ? It is all about my graduation project about home automation using mobile phone.

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
shaimaa said:
I was searching about the possibility of building a simple mobile phone, but I found an old topic here indicating that this is pointless and hard.

Actually I want to make a mobile phone which only receives the incoming ring and vibrates.
I am asking about the possibility of doing this ? It is all about my graduation project about home automation using mobile phone.

thanks in advance

Welcome to the PF. What do you know so far about the RF and signal processing aspects of cell phones? To do this on your own, you would need to understand what each wireless carrier does for their signal encoding. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that there is some security involved -- like, you'd need some code access to receive phone calls. You'd at least need a phone number issued by the particular carrier.

An interesting project but it sounds very very large!
Could you not approach the problem by just using a phone network to connect a single 'central' mobile phone plus modem plus PC to interpret the commands from your personal mobile(s)? You could then distribute your signals round the house with WiFi technology - all of which would be under your control and not a part of the phone service provider's domain. WiFi circuits are probably a lot easier to build and to interface with and you would not be treading on the toes of a phone company as you would be using the two mobiles quite conventionally.

Thanks for your reply and concern
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. What do you know so far about the RF and signal processing aspects of cell phones? To do this on your own, you would need to understand what each wireless carrier does for their signal encoding. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that there is some security involved -- like, you'd need some code access to receive phone calls. You'd at least need a phone number issued by the particular carrier.

Actually i am studying RF and signal processing right now and after that i will take the antenna
design course.
About the security: I am not sure you got my point .
I am thinking to attach a sim card to each device, but may be i will rethink using a mobile phone to avoid this

sophiecentaur said:
An interesting project but it sounds very very large!
Could you not approach the problem by just using a phone network to connect a single 'central' mobile phone plus modem plus PC to interpret the commands from your personal mobile(s)? You could then distribute your signals round the house with WiFi technology - all of which would be under your control and not a part of the phone service provider's domain. WiFi circuits are probably a lot easier to build and to interface with and you would not be treading on the toes of a phone company as you would be using the two mobiles quite conventionally.

Great idea i was trying not to involve the PC but this sound very interesting.
I will try to do more search.
Thanks a lot.

shaimaa said:
Thanks for your reply and concern

Actually i am studying RF and signal processing right now and after that i will take the antenna
design course.
About the security: I am not sure you got my point .
I am thinking to attach a sim card to each device, but may be i will rethink using a mobile phone to avoid this

What's a sim card?

Omg
lol

sophiecentaur said:
Omg
lol

:redface:

They make kits for this sort of thing. Here's a full GSM evaluation board offered by http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8700". Plug your SIM card in and make your calls to it.

Is this for a senior design project? Be sure to ask your adviser if programming an evaulation board is a suitable project. At my Alma Mater, we weren't allowed to do something that easy.

Even if you can't use a pre-made board, you can still take a close look at Sparkfun's schematic to see what you're getting yourself into. It's not impossibly hard but you or some team member you wish to work with had better be good at working with microprocessors and embedded design.

Edit: fixed the link above.

Okefenokee said:
They make kits for this sort of thing. Here's a full GSM evaluation board offered by http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8700". Plug your SIM card in and make your calls to it.

Is this for a senior design project? Be sure to ask your adviser if programming an evaulation board is a suitable project. At my Alma Mater, we weren't allowed to do something that easy.

Even if you can't use a pre-made board, you can still take a close look at Sparkfun's schematic to see what you're getting yourself into. It's not impossibly hard but you or some team member you wish to work with had better be good at working with microprocessors and embedded design.

Edit: fixed the link above.

This is very close to what i was thinking about
thanks

@berkeman
sorry i mean SIM card.

1. How does a simple mobile phone work?

A simple mobile phone works by using radio waves to communicate with cell towers. When you make a call or send a text, your phone sends a signal to the nearest tower, which then sends the signal to the recipient's phone through a network of other towers. The process is similar for receiving calls and texts. Additionally, your phone has a microchip called a SIM card that stores your phone number and allows you to connect to a specific network provider.

2. What components are needed to build a simple mobile phone?

The basic components needed to build a simple mobile phone include a microcontroller, a display screen, a keypad or buttons, a battery, an antenna, and a SIM card slot. The microcontroller is the main processing unit that runs the phone's software, while the display screen and keypad allow for user interaction. The battery provides power, and the antenna allows for wireless communication. The SIM card slot is where the SIM card is inserted, providing the phone with a unique identifier and network connection.

3. Can I use any software to program a simple mobile phone?

Yes, there are various software options for programming a simple mobile phone, depending on the specific microcontroller you are using. Some popular options include Arduino IDE, MicroPython, and C++. It is important to choose a software that is compatible with your microcontroller and has the necessary features for building a mobile phone.

4. How can I add more features to my simple mobile phone?

To add more features to a simple mobile phone, you can integrate additional hardware components such as a camera, a speaker, or a GPS module. You can also program your phone to connect to the internet and access various apps and services. However, keep in mind that adding too many features may require a more powerful microcontroller and more complex software programming.

5. Is it possible to make a simple mobile phone without any coding experience?

Yes, it is possible to make a simple mobile phone without any coding experience by using a pre-made DIY kit. These kits come with all the necessary components and instructions for assembly. However, if you want to customize your phone or add additional features, some coding experience may be required. There are also online tutorials and resources available for beginners to learn how to code for mobile phones.