Can I Convert My 9vdc Sprinkler Actuators to Run on Low Voltage AC?

• Thread starter thompdw
  • Start date
In summary: You can use landscape lighting transformers to power the devices. I think the amperage requirement would be around 12 vac, but I'm not sure. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of the devices to find out specific information.
thompdw
I have several 9vdc powered items that are used for scaring deer out of my yard. The device is motion activated and opens a solenoid that allows a sprinkler head to send a 4 second burst out. These work well, but if the battery runs down, the deer win. I would like to use low voltage ac (as in yard landscape lighting) to power these units. I think those transformers operate at 12-14 vac and up to 300watts. Do not know that amperage requirement for my deer device but it can't be much.

What I want to do is to "convert the devices" to run on 12 vac.

I also have a similar device that runs on 2 D cell batteries (3vdc) and one that runs on a single 9vdc battery. Would like all to be powered by a single landscape lighting transformer.

Can anyone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thom,

You might try part# MW117RA0903B01 from Mouser. It's 9 volts, regulated and can supply better than 1 amp. It's not intended for outdoor use, but would be okay for a garage or NEMA enclosure.

I have those 9v motion-activated sprinklers on each end of my vegetable garden. The batteries last for a whole growing season each year. You may have the sensitivity set too high, so you're getting a lot of false-positives. That will wear down the batteries and waste water, as well. Buy some decent alkaline batteries, and adjust the sensitivity of the sensors so that you don't get false-positives, and you should be OK.

thanks for the replies. both of you. I find the units to be inconsistent when i adjust the sensitivity down. so i keep it up and the units activate many times each day. I do have the water source on a timer so that it only sprays at night time. but if i miss one night with a dead battery the deer could eat 20 indian hawthornes. I am mad and want to beat the little pests

thompdw said:
thanks for the replies. both of you. I find the units to be inconsistent when i adjust the sensitivity down. so i keep it up and the units activate many times each day. I do have the water source on a timer so that it only sprays at night time. but if i miss one night with a dead battery the deer could eat 20 indian hawthornes. I am mad and want to beat the little pests
You can save water with the timers, but you can't save batteries. The false-positives eat them up. I have to set my deer-chasers up as if they were a perimeter. I can't set them up in line-of-sight with the plants in my garden because wind moving the foliage can trip them easily. I have to treat them as if they are guardians for the approach-paths to my garden, and not to detect deer IN my garden. Deer are pretty smart and adaptable.

When we first moved to this log house in the country, a doe with twin fawns used to park her babies on our front lawn every night. I'd find a large kidney-shaped depression in the lawn, and two tiny ones right next to it. They often used to sleep right next to the concrete front patio, about 5 feet from the house. Our garden that first year was very poor, so I didn't care all that much, but after I lost my job due to disability, I got really serious about growing and keeping as many vegetables as possible. Since installing the deer-chasers, no deer have been camping out on my lawn during the summers. I love them and want to protect the fawns from coyotes, but I really need to protect my garden.

I am still in the process of deciding on best locations. I want to hard pipe the water so that unsightly hoses not laying around. Can you say what brand (Havahart or Contech Scarecrow) you have? I have two that put out a blast of ultra sound followed by 3 blasts from a party whistle. Those are inconsistent on the motion detecting. Have 2 others that put out a blast of ultra sound followed by 4 seconds of talk radio. They seem to be the most consistent. But all depend on batteries and even if I am not getting falsies I would like to run them off landscape lighting source.

I understand a lot about electronics but am niether educated or experienced with making the conversion.

I have the Scarecrows. I put one on each end of my garden, aimed along the open space at the end perimeters. They reliably detect large animals and humans at a distance of at least 40 feet. The only noise that they make is the clacking of the lightweight plastic "flapper" that deflects the water from the sprinkler. I can see why you might be having battery issues, if your units make loud noises. All the scarecrows do is open a valve, and the water does the rest of the work.

1. What is the purpose of powering sprinkler actuators?

The purpose of powering sprinkler actuators is to open and close the valves in a sprinkler system, allowing water to flow to the desired areas for irrigation or fire protection.

2. How do sprinkler actuators receive power?

Sprinkler actuators are typically powered by electricity, which is supplied through a wiring system connected to a control panel or timer.

3. Can sprinkler actuators be powered by solar energy?

Yes, there are some sprinkler actuators that are designed to be powered by solar energy. These actuators have solar panels that convert sunlight into electricity to power the sprinkler system.

4. What type of power source is best for sprinkler actuators?

The best power source for sprinkler actuators depends on the specific needs and location of the system. Some may benefit from a reliable electrical source, while others may benefit from the convenience and sustainability of solar power.

5. Are there any safety concerns when powering sprinkler actuators?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when powering sprinkler actuators. It is important to properly install and maintain the wiring system to prevent potential hazards such as electrical shock or fire. It is also important to follow manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for safe operation of the sprinkler system.