Studies and posts will be deleted

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential issue with copyright violations in the use of abstracts from clinical studies. The person who raised the concern has since apologized and stated that as long as proper citation is provided, there should not be a problem. The conversation also highlights the importance of correctly citing articles, including authors, year of publication, article and journal titles, and journal volume and pages. This will allow others to easily access the full text of the article.
bobf
Looks like my abstracts will be deleted even though they are abstracts of clinical studies and not copyrighted articles. Its called educational material and they all come from a governmental source. Each study has the author and where the study was performed, so the source of the article and the authors are provided. I have used these studies on many forums and this is the first time I have been given any problems. Looks like some do not know how abstracts work. I have been given a warning. Although I remember seeing other studies posted that were copied from websites and were part of actual articles, and they are still there. Some ask for science, and when I provide it, I am given a warning. Truly odd! :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to look into this, it seems to me you are in your right..

Bobf, I am the one that raised the concern over possible copyright issues since you did not provide links or state your sources.

As long as you provide this information, there isn't a problem. It was just meant as heads up, I do not believe you will be getting a warning as long as you show our sources.

I already received a warning and all of the sources are provided at the beginning of the abstracts, for example:

Department of Human Genetics, Eccles Institute of Human Genetics, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City 84112, USA

Is the location and:

Jorde LB, Bamshad MJ, Watkins WS, Zenger R, Fraley AE, Krakowiak PA, Carpenter KD, Soodyall H, Jenkins T, Rogers AR.

Are the authors, not sure what else I can add to that :confused: I actually feel a little insulted since I didn't just go out to websites and pick up studies out of biased articles. All of these studies were published in peer reviewed journals. Such material is not copy written since it is only an abstract, sources sited, and is being used as educational material. In addition, these abstracts are owned by public institutions such as the college in which they were performed. I will try to dig up more copyright information on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
For example, your post 13, there is no reference as to where you got this or that it is an abstract taken from the Pub Med website and that there is a charge to view the entire article. Information like this is most helpful to someone that may want to see what the whole article is about, it's also proper reference back to the sight that is hosting it.

Great posts btw!

bobf said:
AND ANOTHER SINCE YOU LIKE RESEARCH:

Pharmacogenetics: has it reached the clinic?

Schwartz JB.

Long-Term Care Research Center, Institute on Aging/Jewish Home, 302 Silver Ave, San Francisco, CA 94112, USA.

Genetic variation in drug-metabolizing enzymes contributes to the variability in drug responses seen in humans. Information in the area is expanding rapidly, and the clinical significance of many of the polymorphisms is only now being elucidated. It is clear that polymorphism frequency varies markedly by race and ethnicity, but major differences by sex have not been reported. Screening for genetic variation in most drug-metabolizing enzymes is not recommended; the very important exception is the need to determine the thiopurine transferase activity of patients who may receive thiopurines (e.g., 6-mercaptopurine and azathioprine) because clinically life-threatening complications or decreased efficacy is strongly related to the genetically determined activity of this enzyme

Thank you,

Actually, all posts come from PubMed, but were published in peer reviewed journals.

Bobf.

Hi bobf, you see it was based on a mis-communication.. I will remove the warnings and put the posts back up :biggrin:

But Evo is right that you should cite the journal in which it was published: it will tell us something about the credibility and also: the journal holds the copywrite and not the author.

Monique said:
Hi bobf, you see it was based on a mis-communication.. I will remove the warnings and put the posts back up :biggrin:

But Evo is right that you should cite the journal in which it was published: it will tell us something about the credibility and also: the journal holds the copywrite and not the author.

Thank you, will do from now on.

Bob

Sorry about that bobf, one our mentors reported copyright violation and I just acted without thoroughly reading the posts! I sincerely apologize for the mistake.

- Warren

For anyone's benefit, a correctly cited article should include the following information:
Authors (for more than 2 authors, you can cite the first author followed by "et al.")
Year of publication
Article Title
Journal Title
Journal Volume
Journal Pages

Anything extra is great, like links, issue numbers, PMID, ISSN, but are not required. The above information can get you to the full text of any article by going to a library and requesting it (the libraries pay more for the subscription than an individual subscriber because it is anticipated they have many readers, so that's why borrowing material from a library isn't violating copyright laws).

If you're missing any of the above information, it limits the ability of someone to seek out the article for themself, and thus is considered an incomplete citation.

Thanks everyone, I will try and do a better job citing information.

Bobf :smile:

What does it mean when it says "Studies and posts will be deleted"?

When a statement mentions that studies and posts will be deleted, it means that any published research or information on a particular topic will be removed or erased. This could be due to various reasons, such as inaccurate data, unethical practices, or violation of community guidelines.

Why are studies and posts being deleted?

Studies and posts may be deleted for a variety of reasons, such as the ones mentioned above. Other possible reasons could include lack of relevance, duplication of information, or the study being retracted by the author.

Who decides which studies and posts will be deleted?

The decision to delete studies and posts is typically made by the platform or organization where the information was originally published. They may have a team of moderators or a specific set of guidelines that determine which content should be removed.

Can I retrieve a study or post that has been deleted?

It depends on the specific platform or organization's policies. Some may have a process for appealing the deletion, while others may have a strict no-retrieval policy. It is best to check with the platform or organization directly to inquire about retrieving deleted content.

What can I do if my study or post is deleted?

If you believe that your study or post was wrongly deleted, you can reach out to the platform or organization to appeal the decision. Make sure to provide evidence or reasoning to support your case. If the deletion was due to a violation of guidelines, it is best to review and revise your content before resubmitting it for review.