Considerations for acceleration allowance in calculating engine power?

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the engine power of a prototype car based on different factors such as road gradients, air drag, and rolling resistance. The main question is whether acceleration allowance should be considered even when the engine power is calculated for the maximum speed of 50 kmph. It is argued that if the engine power is only based on the maximum speed, there will be no power left for acceleration. To get an approximation of acceleration, a formula involving power and mass is suggested. Additionally, the maximum traction force that can be achieved is also dependent on the tire's friction coefficient.
Carvinos
hello!
i have calculated an engine power of a prototype car by calculating the power losses against road gradients, air drag and rolling resistance. i have calculated these losses for max. car speed,lets say 50 kmph. what i need to know is do i need to consider acceleration allowance even when i have calculated the power of an engine for max. speed??if yes, then why calculating acceleration allowance for an engine when car cannot accelerate beyond 50 kmph as all my calculations are based on maximum speed.
pleasez do reply, I am confused...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Capitalize "I" when you use it in sentences.

Last edited:
It would also help if you could state your question clearly and in 1 line preferably.

If you ever plan to stop then yes you should consider it (in the form of negative acceleration).

Last edited:
Carvinos said:
what i need to know is do i need to consider acceleration allowance even when i have calculated the power of an engine for max. speed??if yes, then why calculating acceleration allowance for an engine when car cannot accelerate beyond 50 kmph as all my calculations are based on maximum speed.
pleasez do reply, I am confused...

Think of it this way, if you size your engine power according to your max speed of 50 km/h, then it would mean you have no power left for acceleration at that speed (terminal velocity). So it would also mean that from, say, 45 to 50 km/h you will experience very little acceleration and it will take you forever to break that 5 km/h gap.

To get an approximation of the acceleration of your vehicle you can use the simple Pw - Pl = Fvavg = (ma) (vf + vo) / 2, where Pw is the power at your wheel, Pl is the power losses @ vavg, m is vehicle mass, vavg is the average speed of the vehicle during acceleration, vf and vo are final and initial speeds and a is the average acceleration from vo to vf.

Of course, the time taken to go from vo to vf will be approximately t = (vf - vo) / a. This will give an optimistic value, but it will give you a good idea.

Furthermore, no matter what is the engine power, the maximum traction force you can get is dependent of the friction coefficient of the tire. So Fmax = µmtg, where mt is the mass of the vehicle on the powered wheels, g = 9,81 m/s² and µ is the tire coeff of friction (tourism tire = 0.75-1.0, racing tire = 1.25-1.5, bicycle tire = 0.6-0.75 (that last one is a guess))

What is engine power?

Engine power refers to the amount of work that an engine can do in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in units of horsepower or kilowatts.

How is engine power calculated?

Engine power is calculated by multiplying torque and engine speed. Torque is the rotational force produced by the engine, while engine speed is the number of revolutions per minute. The formula for calculating engine power is: Power (in horsepower) = Torque (in pound-feet) x Engine speed (in revolutions per minute) / 5252.

What factors affect engine power?

There are several factors that can affect engine power, including the size and type of engine, the fuel used, the quality of the fuel, and the engine's efficiency. Additionally, factors such as temperature, altitude, and air density can also impact engine power.

Why is calculating engine power important?

Calculating engine power is important because it allows us to understand the performance capabilities of an engine. It can also help determine the appropriate engine size and type for a specific vehicle or application.

Can engine power be increased?

Yes, engine power can be increased through various methods such as engine tuning, adding forced induction (such as a turbocharger), and upgrading engine components. However, it is important to note that increasing engine power may also affect the engine's reliability and longevity.