Bunched electrons: How many and how fast?

• Thread starter jaketodd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary: I have another question. Suppose I had a bunch of electrons with an energy of 5 MeV and I accelerated them to 18 MeV. Would the total energy of the bunch be 11 MeV? Thanks,JakeThe total energy of the bunch would be 11 MeV.
jaketodd
Gold Member
I am wondering how many electrons have been successfully bunched and how fast they have been accelerated to in a particle accelerator. Is there an upper limit on how many electrons can be bunched? Does the possible acceleration level of that bunch depend on the number of electrons in that bunch?

Thanks,

Jake

Physics news on Phys.org
The facility that I work at holds the "world's record" (meaning, it isn't in the Guinness Books, but we haven't found anyone beating it in the literature) for the largest amount of charge per bunch, which is 110 nC. These were accelerated at 18 MeV, which is low, and which is why we're constructing a new one.

To put this into perspective, for most electron accelerator facilities, 1nC is large. For us, we sneeze and we get 1 nC.

Zz.

Thank you. I have a couple questions. What is "nC"? I used Wikipedia and my best guess is Nanocoulomb. So, how many electrons does it take to get 110 nC? From Wikipedia, the charge of an electron is about −1.6x10^−19 C and 1 nC is 1x10^-9 C. Are my calculations correct that about 7x10^11 electrons were used? But MeV is a relativistic speed, right (I can't find an eV to speed converter. Do you know of one? I can't get the energy amplification using Einstein's equations without the speed)? Also, what counts as "relativistic speed" (what's the cutoff range of speeds or speed?)? So, my calculations must be wrong because the 110 nC must have been amplified to that level from a smaller nC due to the relativistic energy amplification. Can you tell me how many electrons are in the bunch at 18 MeV and 110 nC?

Thanks,

Jake

Also, is the energy of the bunch as a whole measured when bunched electrons are run through an energy resolving chamber in a particle accelerator?

Check out my blog, or the thread "perfect symmetry"
jal

ZapperZ?

jaketodd said:
Thank you. I have a couple questions. What is "nC"? I used Wikipedia and my best guess is Nanocoulomb. So, how many electrons does it take to get 110 nC? From Wikipedia, the charge of an electron is about −1.6x10^−19 C and 1 nC is 1x10^-9 C. Are my calculations correct that about 7x10^11 electrons were used? But MeV is a relativistic speed, right (I can't find an eV to speed converter. Do you know of one? I can't get the energy amplification using Einstein's equations without the speed)? Also, what counts as "relativistic speed" (what's the cutoff range of speeds or speed?)? So, my calculations must be wrong because the 110 nC must have been amplified to that level from a smaller nC due to the relativistic energy amplification. Can you tell me how many electrons are in the bunch at 18 MeV and 110 nC?

Thanks,

Jake

nC = nanocoulomb. It is the amount of charge. To get the number of electrons, you simply divide this by the charge of an electron.

For an electron, anything above 1 MeV is considered as relativistic. A a general rule of thumb, if the KE is larger than the rest energy, then you should consider it relativistic. At more than 1 MeV, most calculation of electron dynamics can be solved with a good degree of accuracy by assuming that the electron speed is c.

You can't find how many electrons with the energy value. You need the charge value.

Zz.

Thanks!

1. How are bunched electrons created?

Bunched electrons are created through a process called electron bunching, where a beam of electrons is guided through a series of magnetic fields to create a synchronized bunching effect.

2. How many bunched electrons can be produced?

The number of bunched electrons that can be produced depends on the strength of the magnetic fields and the initial number of electrons in the beam. With advanced techniques, it is possible to produce bunched electron beams with billions of electrons.

3. How fast do bunched electrons travel?

The speed of bunched electrons depends on the energy of the beam and the strength of the magnetic fields. Generally, bunched electrons can travel at speeds close to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. What are the applications of bunched electrons?

Bunched electrons have various applications in fields such as particle accelerators, medical imaging, and materials science. They are also used in electron microscopy to produce high-resolution images of small structures.

5. How are bunched electrons detected and measured?

Bunched electrons can be detected and measured using various techniques, such as Faraday cups, scintillation detectors, and beam position monitors. These methods allow for the characterization of the electron beam's properties, such as its energy, current, and size.