Energy of resulting Gamma Rays after particle annihilation

Start with the equation p1 + p2 = p3 + p4, where p1 and p2 are the momenta of the electron and positron, respectively, and p3 and p4 are the momenta of the two gamma rays. Since the electron and positron are moving in the +x direction, their momenta are in the same direction and can be added together. The momenta of the gamma rays are in opposite directions (one in the +x direction and one in the -x direction), so their momenta will cancel out when added together. Using the equation E = pc, you can then solve for the energy of each photon. In summary, to find the energy of each photon created from the annihilation of
Fronzbot

Homework Statement

An electron and a positron are moving side by side in the +x direction at 0.50c when they annihilate each other creating two gamma rays. What is the energy of each photon?

Homework Equations

(mc2 + K+) + (mc2 + K-) = E1 + E2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved out that K = mc2 = 0.511MeV ( [tex]\gamma[/tex] - 1 ) where [tex]\gamma[/tex] = 1.155. Therefore K should equal 79.1keV. Plug this into the equation up in that "relevant equations" section and I get E1 + E2 = 1.18MeV.

I know the answer is E1 = .885 MeV in the +x direction and E2 = .295 MeV in the -x direction as my prof gave us the answers. These values verify that the calculations I performed earlier are correct.

However, I don't know how to obtain the answers. It seems like it should be stupidly simple, but I just can't figure it out. I tried using hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex] = E to solve for wavelength and then tried plugging stuff in again to get energy but that doesn't work. And even if it did, how would I know direction? If anyone can just give me that slight push in the right direction I'd be very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have one equation and two unknowns (E_1, E_2). So you might want to use conservation of momentum to help solve for both unknowns.

1. What is the energy of resulting gamma rays after particle annihilation?

The energy of resulting gamma rays after particle annihilation varies depending on the type of particles that are annihilated. In general, the energy of gamma rays can range from a few kiloelectron volts (keV) to several hundred megaelectron volts (MeV).

2. How is the energy of gamma rays determined after particle annihilation?

The energy of gamma rays is determined by the mass and energy of the particles that are annihilated. According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, the energy of gamma rays is equal to the mass of the particles multiplied by the speed of light squared.

3. Can the energy of gamma rays be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the energy of gamma rays can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the conservation of energy and momentum equations. These equations take into account the mass and energy of the particles involved in the annihilation process.

4. What factors can affect the energy of resulting gamma rays after particle annihilation?

The energy of resulting gamma rays can be affected by factors such as the types of particles involved, their initial energy levels, and the angle at which they collide. Additionally, any external forces or fields present during the annihilation process can also impact the energy of gamma rays.

5. How is the energy of resulting gamma rays after particle annihilation used in scientific research?

The energy of resulting gamma rays after particle annihilation is a valuable tool in scientific research. It can be used to study the properties of particles, such as their mass and energy levels, and to understand the fundamental forces that govern the universe. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans to detect and diagnose diseases.