Height of Blood Transfusion - ?

In summary, the task at hand is to determine the necessary height for a bottle to be placed above a needle in order to achieve a flow rate of 3.90 cm3 of blood per minute. Using Poiseuille's law, the required pressure difference is calculated to be 19023 Pa. To find the height, additional information such as the density and viscosity of blood is needed. These values can be obtained from tables in the book, with a density of 1.05 x 103 kg/m3 and a viscosity of 4.0 x 10-3 Pa*s.
mparsons06

Homework Statement

A patient is to be given a blood transfusion. The blood is to flow through a tube from a raised bottle to a needle inserted in the vein. The inside diameter of the 4.07 cm long needle is 0.388 mm and the required flow rate is 3.90 cm3 of blood per minute. How high should the bottle be placed above the needle? Obtain ρ and η from the Tables in the book. Assume the blood pressure is 18.5 torr above atmospheric pressure.

Homework Equations

ρ of blood: 1.05 x 103 kg/m3
η of blood: 4.0 x 10-3 Pa*s

I converted all the numbers to the necessary units:

Inside diameter = 0.388 mm = 0.000388 m
Length of needle = 4.07 cm = 0.0407 m
Flow rate = 3.90 cm3/min = 6.5 x 10-8 m3/s
Blood pressure = 18.5 torr above atmospheric pressure = 2466 Pa + 101300 = 103766 PaCan someone please help me out on where to start?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you would use Poiseuille's law, as in your other recent thread.

Okay. So to find pressure difference:

P = 8 * η * L * Q / pi * r4
P = 8 * (0.004 Pa*s) * (0.0407 m) * (6.5 x 10-8 m3/s) / pi * (0.000194 m)4
P = 19023 Pa

If that is correct, how do I find height from this?

I figured it out. Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of measuring the height of blood transfusion?

The height of blood transfusion is measured in order to ensure that the blood is flowing properly into the recipient's body. It can also help detect any potential complications or issues during the transfusion process.

2. How is the height of blood transfusion measured?

The height of blood transfusion is typically measured using a special device called a drip chamber. This device allows the healthcare provider to accurately monitor the rate of blood flow and adjust it as needed.

3. What are the potential risks associated with incorrect height of blood transfusion?

If the height of blood transfusion is too high, it can increase the risk of a rapid blood flow, which can overload the recipient's circulatory system and potentially cause heart or lung problems. If the height is too low, it can result in a slow or insufficient blood flow, which can lead to an inadequate delivery of oxygen to the body's tissues.

4. Are there any precautions that need to be taken when measuring the height of blood transfusion?

Yes, it is important for healthcare providers to follow proper protocols and guidelines when measuring the height of blood transfusion. This may include using a sterile technique, checking the patient's vital signs regularly, and monitoring for any signs of adverse reactions.

5. What should I do if I notice any issues with the height of blood transfusion during the process?

If you notice any issues with the height of blood transfusion, it is important to notify a healthcare provider immediately. They will be able to assess the situation and make any necessary adjustments to ensure the safe delivery of blood to the recipient.