How to tune pulse width of excimer laser?

In summary, pulse width in an excimer laser refers to the duration of time that the laser emits energy, typically measured in nanoseconds. It is important to tune the pulse width to control the energy and intensity of the laser beam, which can affect precision and accuracy. This can be done by adjusting the electrical properties of the discharge circuit or using a built-in control feature. Factors such as desired energy output, precision requirements, and material being processed should be considered when tuning the pulse width. Some excimer lasers also allow for real-time adjustment of the pulse width during operation for optimal performance.
baris81
Hi,

can anyone explain how to tune the pulse width of excimer laser?

Thanks
Baris

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "tune"? Adjusting the laser pulse duration? I´m afraid it´s barely possible because it mostly depends on the laser cavity and the pumping circuit.

I admit, when I think of the word "tune" in conjunction with optics, I tend to think of wavelengths, but again, isn't that a matter of the lasing cavity?

Excimer lasers aren't wavelength tunable like dye of Ti:Za lasers

1. What is pulse width in an excimer laser?

Pulse width is the duration of time that the laser emits energy, typically measured in nanoseconds (10^-9 seconds).

2. Why is it important to tune the pulse width of an excimer laser?

The pulse width affects the energy and intensity of the laser beam, which can impact the precision and accuracy of the laser's output. Tuning the pulse width allows for better control and optimization of the laser's performance.

3. How do you adjust the pulse width of an excimer laser?

The pulse width can be adjusted by changing the electrical properties of the laser's discharge circuit, such as the voltage and capacitance. Some lasers also have a built-in pulse width control feature.

4. What factors should be considered when tuning the pulse width?

The desired energy output, precision requirements, and material being processed are important factors to consider when tuning the pulse width. The laser's specifications and capabilities should also be taken into account.

5. Can the pulse width be adjusted during a laser operation?

Yes, some excimer lasers allow for real-time adjustment of the pulse width while the laser is in operation. This can be useful for optimizing the laser's performance for different materials or processing techniques.