Calculating Complex Power: P+jQ

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of complex power, which is represented by the formula P+jQ and can also be expressed as the dot product of voltage and current vectors, or as a phasor representation. The question raises confusion about the inclusion of the first term in the formula and the use of the imaginary number j in the representation of reactive power. A helpful resource is suggested for further understanding.
chopficaro
power=P+P(cos(2wt))+Q(cos(2wt))

but

complex power = P+jQ

am i to assume that complex power is a phasor representation of the last two terms? why does this formula ignore the first term?

Engineering news on Phys.org
and aparently it is also equal to

complex power =(Veff)(Ieff)

which is a scalar, but its also equal to

complex power=(Vphasor)(Iphasor)/2

which is a phasor

how can complex power be both a phasor and a scaler?

Please give this a read and see if it answers your question. I think it's good.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/powerac.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
it did! tyvm!

chopficaro said:
power=P+P(cos(2wt))+Q(cos(2wt))

but

complex power = P+jQ

am i to assume that complex power is a phasor representation of the last two terms? why does this formula ignore the first term?

Surely Electrical Power is the Dot Produce between the V and I vectors. A dot product is a scalar.
What could "jQ" be? I and V may not be in phase but what has that to do with "complex power"? Is there some problem with actual terminology here?

1. What is complex power and how is it different from real power?

Complex power, denoted as S, is a measurement of the total power in an AC circuit. It includes both the real power, P, which is the power consumed by the circuit, and the reactive power, Q, which is the power stored and released by the circuit. Real power is the actual power used to perform work, while reactive power is the power that oscillates between the source and load without being consumed.

2. How do I calculate complex power using P+jQ notation?

To calculate complex power, you can use the formula S=P+jQ, where P is the real power and Q is the reactive power. Simply substitute the values for P and Q into the formula to find the complex power.

3. What is the significance of the j in the complex power formula?

The j in the formula represents the imaginary unit, which is used in complex numbers to denote values on the imaginary axis. In the context of complex power, it represents the reactive power, which is measured in units of volts-ampere reactive (VAR).

4. Can complex power be negative?

Yes, complex power can be negative. This occurs when the reactive power is larger than the real power, which means that the circuit is producing more power than it is consuming. In this case, the negative sign indicates that the power is flowing in the opposite direction.

5. How is complex power used in practical applications?

Complex power is used in various applications in electrical engineering, such as power system analysis and design. It is also used in power factor correction, where reactive power is minimized to improve the efficiency of a circuit. Additionally, complex power is used in the measurement and control of power in AC circuits.