Designing a MATLAB Lunar Lander: Finding v

In summary, the conversation is about designing a MATLAB program for a lunar lander game and the difficulty in finding the exhaust velocity needed for determining thrust. The lander's max thrust was 44.4 kN and the min was 4.7 kN, with 8165 kg of fuel. The specific impulse of 311 sec gives an exhaust speed of 3050 m/s. Sources were requested for this information, but it was not readily available.
negatifzeo

Homework Statement

The task is to design a MATLAB program reminiscent of the text-based lunar lander games. Ol, that's not that bad. My problem comes from the research, specifically determining what thrust will be provided from what rate of fuel burned. I know that thrust=(dm/dt)v where v is the relative velocity of the exhaust. I know the max thrust the lunar lander was capable of was 44.4 kN and the min was 4.7 kN. I know the lander had 8165 kg of N204/Aerozine-50 as fuel. Does anyone have any idea what v is or how I can find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Several sources specifies the specific impulse to 311 sec which gives an exhaust speed of around 3050 m/s.

Thank you so much. Do you think you could post a link to one of these sources? Normally I'm capable when using the google; I don't know why this information has been so difficult for me to find.

I understand the challenge you are facing in designing a MATLAB program for a lunar lander. The key to solving this problem lies in understanding the relationship between thrust, fuel burn rate, and relative velocity of exhaust.

Firstly, v represents the relative velocity of the exhaust, which is the speed at which the exhaust gases are ejected from the lander. This velocity can be calculated using the specific impulse (Isp) of the propellant, which is a measure of the efficiency of the engine. For N204/Aerozine-50, the specific impulse is approximately 285 s.

Next, to determine the thrust provided by a certain rate of fuel burn, you can use the equation you mentioned: thrust = (dm/dt) * v. Here, dm/dt represents the rate of fuel burn, which can be calculated using the total amount of fuel (8165 kg) and the burn time of the engine. The burn time can be determined based on the thrust profile of the lunar lander, which can be found through research or experimentation.

Once you have calculated the thrust for different fuel burn rates, you can use this information to design your MATLAB program for the lunar lander game. You can set a range of fuel burn rates and corresponding thrust values, and use them to simulate the descent of the lunar lander.

In summary, to find v and determine the thrust for different fuel burn rates, you will need to consider the specific impulse of the propellant, the total amount of fuel, and the burn time of the engine. I hope this helps in your design process. Good luck!

1. How do I calculate the velocity needed for a successful lunar landing in MATLAB?

To calculate the velocity needed for a successful lunar landing in MATLAB, you will need to use the equations of motion and the given parameters of your lunar lander. These equations include the conservation of energy and the conservation of momentum, which can be solved using MATLAB's numerical methods.

2. What factors should I consider when designing a MATLAB lunar lander?

When designing a MATLAB lunar lander, you should consider the gravitational force of the moon, the mass and dimensions of your lander, and the desired landing location. You should also take into account the velocity and acceleration of the lander, as well as any additional forces such as air resistance.

3. How can I test the accuracy of my MATLAB lunar lander design?

To test the accuracy of your MATLAB lunar lander design, you can compare the results of your simulation to real-life data from previous lunar landings. You can also vary the parameters of your lander and observe how it affects the landing velocity. Additionally, you can use MATLAB's built-in debugging tools to check for any errors in your code.

4. Can I incorporate user input into my MATLAB lunar lander design?

Yes, you can incorporate user input into your MATLAB lunar lander design. This can be useful for allowing the user to input different parameters such as initial velocity, mass, or desired landing location. You can also create a user interface for the simulation using MATLAB's GUI-building tools.

5. Are there any built-in functions in MATLAB that can help with designing a lunar lander?

Yes, there are several built-in functions in MATLAB that can aid in designing a lunar lander. These include functions for solving differential equations, performing vector calculations, and creating visualizations. You can also find various toolboxes and add-ons specifically designed for simulating and analyzing spacecraft dynamics in MATLAB.