Structural Analysis - Trusses

In summary, to solve for all forces within the trusses, use the point method by first solving for the member forces under the known x component of force from FE, then solving for the member forces under the known y components of force from FE and FD, and then adding the results together. It is important to note that the forces in DE and FE are not correct as they assume a 30 degree angle.
petersun825

Homework Statement

Below is a truss system, use the point method to solve for all forces within the trusses.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25i2dma&s=3

my question, If I take pin F then I have 4 trusses, 2 of them known(FE, FD) and 2 unknowns(GF, CF). exactly what should I do with truss GF and FC, they have forces in x and y axis.

Homework Equations

3. The atthis is what I've found so far
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2q9ig05&s=3
FDE=2.6 (T)
FFE = 3 (C)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=f52428&s=3
FCD = 2.60 (T)
FDF = 1 (T)tempt at a solution

Physics news on Phys.org
At F, solve for the member forces under the known x component of force from FE, then solve for the member forces under the known y components of force from FE and FD, and then add the results together. Also, your forces in DE and FE are not right, you seem to have assumed a 30 degree angle, which it is not.

oh ok thanks.

1. What is structural analysis?

Structural analysis is the process of examining and studying the behavior of structures such as trusses, beams, and frames under different loads and conditions. It involves using mathematical equations and engineering principles to determine the internal forces and stresses within a structure.

2. What is a truss?

A truss is a type of structural element that is made up of connected triangles. It is used to support loads by transferring them to the supports at the ends of the truss. Trusses are commonly used in bridges, roofs, and towers.

3. How do you analyze a truss?

To analyze a truss, you will need to determine the external loads acting on the truss, identify the members and their properties, and apply the equations of equilibrium to solve for the internal forces and reactions. This can be done using methods such as the method of joints or the method of sections.

4. What are the different types of truss configurations?

There are several types of truss configurations, including the Pratt truss, Warren truss, Howe truss, and K truss. These configurations vary in terms of the arrangement and orientation of the members, which affects their load-carrying capacity and stability.

5. What are some common uses of trusses?

Trusses are commonly used in engineering and construction for various purposes. They can be found in bridges, buildings, cranes, and even in everyday objects such as bicycles and playground equipment. Trusses are also used in the design of aircraft and other structures that require a high strength-to-weight ratio.