Calculate Methane Volume from Pressure, Temp & Density?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to calculate the volume of methane using pressure, temperature, and density. They need the volume in order to calculate the number of moles and the total gas weight. The gas is not an ideal gas, so the Z compressibility factor must be used. The speaker has already calculated Z and is now trying to find the gas density and volume in order to calculate the gas FVF. They are stuck and seeking help.
glocki35

Homework Statement

Can I calculate the volume of Methane if I have the pressure, Temperature and the density?, this is required to calculate the number of moles (n) for Methane, which is given by n = total gas weight / molecular weight, I can not get the total gas weight unless I calculate the volume, I am totally stuck, can anyone help?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What kinds of pressures are you talking about? Under most conditions, the ideal gas equation is a pretty good approximation to the truth, what does that state?

HI sjb-2812, this is not for an ideal gas so I have to use the Z compressibility factor, I have already calculated Z i.e PV=ZnRT, these are the knowns;
z=0.81, R=10.73 psia...T=580 Deg P=2195 psia n = ??at reservoir conditions, for standard conditions these are the knowns- Zsc=1.0, R=10.73, Tsc = 520 Deg R, Psc=14.7 psia & n = ??, this is all of the information I have, I am attempting to find the number of moles n (n=volume at reservoir conditions / volume at standard conditions) by finding the gas density and in turn the volume so I can calculate Bg the gas FVF (formation volume factor), I know how to find the gas density, however how do you find the gas volume with this information?, this is where I am stuck, perhaps my reasoning in flawed, I just don't know...thanks

What is methane and why is it important to calculate its volume?

Methane is a chemical compound that is the main component of natural gas. It is important to calculate its volume because it is a commonly used fuel source and its volume is needed to accurately measure and transport it.

How do pressure, temperature, and density affect the volume of methane?

Pressure and temperature have a direct relationship with the volume of methane - as pressure or temperature increases, the volume also increases. Density, on the other hand, has an inverse relationship with volume - as density increases, volume decreases.

What units should be used when calculating methane volume?

The preferred units for calculating methane volume are Standard Cubic Feet (SCF) or Standard Cubic Meters (SCM). These units take into account the pressure and temperature of the gas and provide a standard measurement that can be easily compared.

What is the formula for calculating methane volume?

The formula for calculating methane volume is: Volume = (Mass / Density) * (Temperature / Pressure). It is important to ensure that the units of measurement are consistent and match the units used in the formula.

Can the ideal gas law be used to calculate methane volume?

Yes, the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) can be used to calculate methane volume. However, it is important to note that this law assumes ideal conditions and may not provide accurate results in real-world situations.