Electromagnetism of particle problem

In summary, the homework statement asks for the surface current density, K, and the surface charge, \sigma, to be constant along the z-axis which is placed in a plane (x=a), in a plane at x=0 there is an infinite plane which is charged by K+\sigma. A particle with charge q and mass m is given a rest position at r=0. Given sigma, the minimal K s.t the particle doesn't cross the boards is found. Assuming now K is twice the K in 1, it is shown that the minimal distance from the board with the current is d_{min}=a-\frac{m\sigma}{
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

We are given surface current density, K which is constant (K is negative) along the z-axis which is placed in x=a plane (the board which contains this density is neutral), in x=0 plane there's an infinite plane which is charged by a surface density [tex] \sigma[/tex] which is constant.
we have a particle with charge q and mass m which starts at rest at r=0.
Now,
1. given sigma find out what is the minimal K s.t the particles doesn't cross the boards.
2. given the K you found assume now K is twice the K in 1, and show that:
the minimal distance from the board with the current is
[tex]d_{min} = a- \frac{m\sigma}{\pi q (3\sigma^2 +\frac{4m\sigma}{\pi q a})}[/tex]

Homework Equations

There's a file with a picture of the system attached to this post here:
http://img2.tapuz.co.il/forums/1_143953502.pdf
It's question number 1, you shouldn't mind that the text is in hebrew, I translated what it asks in English.

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1 I thought of looking at the force euqation:

mv^2/a = qE+ qv x B where E is the electric field from the charged board and B is from the above board (situated at x=a), and then just need to find out when there's only one solution to this quadratic equation with regards to v, the veclotiy of the particle.

The problem arises when I need to prove (2).
Don't know how to do it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I guess things look like my picture? (see the picture attached) If so, then let me show you a way to obtain the general solution.

It's easily shown that: [tex]\vec{B}=\frac{\mu _o|K|}{2}\hat{y}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon _o}\hat{x}[/tex].

The Newton's 2nd law equation for the particle: [tex]m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=e\vec{E}+q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}[/tex]

Therefore:

(1): [tex]\frac{dv_x}{dt}=A+Bv_z[/tex]

(2): [tex]\frac{dv_z}{dt}=-Bv_x[/tex]

[tex]v_y=0[/tex] (the particle only moves inside the y=0 plane)

where: [tex]A=e\frac{\sigma}{2m\epsilon _o}[/tex] and [tex]B=\frac{\mu _o|K|}{2m}q[/tex]

From (1) and (2), you can solve for a relation between vx and vz. Remember the initial condition: [tex]\vec{v}(\vec{r}=0)=0[/tex]. From (2), you can solve for the relation between x and vz. Then from the 2 relations, you should get an equation relating vx and x. Notice that when the particle reaches to the closest distance to the board with current, vx=0.

For part 1, we have xmax=a when vx=0. Solve for K (or |K|). For part 2, we simply substitute K with 2 times value of K from part 1.

By the way, I don't see [tex]\epsilon _o[/tex] and [tex]\mu _o[/tex] anywhere in dmin needed to show. Maybe the question assumes using another unit system rather than SI system?

P.S: By "mv^2/a = qE+ qv x B", you assumed that at the time the particle reaches x=a, the particle's radius of curvature at that point is a, which hasn't been shown. It can be 2a, 3a, or 1000a; we don't know. You have to show it.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

We're using cgs system of units and c=1.
Thanks I think I understand what to do in 1.

as of 2, I am not sure I understand what to do (I get in cgs units and c=1), that for part 1:

K=m/(2qa), after solving the differential equation:

[tex]d^2v_x/dt^2 = -(\frac{2\pi K q}{m})^2 v_x[/tex]
which with v(0)=0 we get a sine function, and for x=a vx=0 we get what I wrote in the above.

I think that in part 2, I need to write down xmax=d (where d is the distance from the lower plane situated at x=0), and then again vx=0, but I don't get the correct final solution.

I've never worked with the CGS system before. Maybe that's how the term "pi" arises.
You don't need to solve that differential equation. Just divide (1) by (2), you will get:
[tex]\frac{dv_x}{dv_z}=\frac{A+Bv_z}{-Bv_x}[/tex]
Then do the integration: [tex]-\frac{B}{2}v_x^2=Av_z+\frac{B}{2}v_z^2[/tex]
Integrate (2): [tex]v_z=-Bx[/tex]
From the 2 equations above: [tex]-\frac{B}{2}v_x^2=-ABx+\frac{B^3}{2}x^2[/tex]
I don't get the answer either. However, I think it's wrong. Consider the extreme case where [tex]\sigma = 0[/tex]. That means there is no electric field, no initial force to cause the particle to move, and the particle remains at rest at r=0. In that case, dmin=a. But from the answer:
[tex]d_{min}=a-\frac{m\sigma}{3\pi q\sigma ^2+4m\sigma /a}=a-\frac{m}{3\pi q\sigma +4m/a}[/tex]
when [tex]\sigma = 0[/tex] , we get [tex]d_{min}=3a/4[/tex] which is wrong.

Ok I understnad what you write, Now when I solve the equation I get K~sqrt(sigma), so indeed if sigma equals zero then also K=0 zero cause otherwise the particle will cross the board situated at x=a.

Again thanks for your help with this question.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Now when I solve the equation I get K~sqrt(sigma), so indeed if sigma equals zero then also K=0 zero cause otherwise the particle will cross the board situated at x=a.

Logically this is not the reason. We haven't had anything to verify our solution yet, since the only hint (the answer) is different from ours. I only pointed out that the statement dmin =... in the question is logically wrong based on another reasoning, not on our result K~sqrt(sigma).

But it doesn't make sense, even if there isn't an electric field, the particle would feel the force from the B-field, unless there is no also a magnetic field.

Initially v=0, so if there is no electric field, even if there is B-field, the particle won't move at all.

I see your point, thanks for clearing this out.

1. What is the concept of electromagnetism in particle physics?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles. In particle physics, it is used to explain the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with each other.

2. How are particles affected by electromagnetic fields?

Particles with an electric charge will experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. This force is either attractive or repulsive, depending on the particles' charges and the direction of the field.

3. What is the role of the electromagnetic force in the structure of matter?

The electromagnetic force is responsible for holding atoms together and creating the structure of matter. It is the force that binds electrons to the nucleus and allows for the existence of atoms, molecules, and all matter in the universe.

4. How does electromagnetism play a role in particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators use electromagnetic fields to accelerate and manipulate subatomic particles. The particles are accelerated by passing through a series of alternating electric and magnetic fields, reaching high energies before colliding with other particles.

5. What is the relationship between electromagnetism and other fundamental forces?

Electromagnetism is closely related to the weak nuclear force, as they are both described by the same mathematical framework called the Standard Model. Additionally, electromagnetism and gravity are both long-range forces, while the strong nuclear force is a short-range force.