Is there a limit to the amount of energy stored in a superconductor?

In summary, a magnetic field generated by the current will have a maximum field strength before superconductivity ceases. The amount of energy stored in a magnetic field is based on the eV of each electron.
Barwick
I'm curious, neglecting all the worries about temperature, etc (assume those conditions can be met)...

Is there a limit to the amount of energy that can be stored in a superconductor? Is there a formula to calculate it? What causes this limit, etc?

Is there a massive field generated by the current? Is there a theoretical maximum for a magnetic field generated by the current?

Is there a theoretical maximum "saturation" limit where no more electrons can be packed onto the surface or within the structure (do they only reside on the surface in a superconductor? am I way off my rocker on this part? I dunno...) Is the amount of energy stored based on the eV of each electron? I'm really clueless on this as you can tell, I'm trying to figure it out, and the insanely formula-heavy papers I've tried to read haven't helped a whole lot to get the basics.

Basically, I'm assuming a ring shaped superconductor, just to throw out some numbers, let's say it's 5cm diameter, and the "wire" is 1mm thick. Is this limited to a certain number? What if we doubled the diameter and kept the same thickness of the "wire"? What if we made the "wire" 1cm thick instead of 1mm, and kept the same diameter of the ring?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a theoretical maximum for a magnetic field generated by the current?

yes

That being the critical magnetic field before superconductivity ceases in that material?

of course

Hm... near as I can tell the critical magnetic field is only experimentally determined for each superconductor. What is a typical value for the maximum field strength?

I know people have created 40T fields in laboratories, and that's about the most that has been sustained on earth. Though the maximum theoretical value for a magnetic field is an absurdly high number.

I know there's formulas to calculate the energy stored in a magnetic field, and it's based on the inductance and current in it. For the life of me I can't figure this out.

Basically, I'm writing a fictional story that is somewhat based in reality. I don't want to say something that is so completely out in left field that the reader is going to say "this is stupid".

There is no direct conversion of say a 40T magnetic field to a value of power. Tesla being a measure of inductance, and Watts being a measure of power.

So, if I said I had a 40T magnetic field that generated a current of (something) over a length of area of (something), that would mean I have X watts of power stored in that magnetic field.

Is that correct? I'm not thinking it is, but I really have nowhere else to go on this... But if it was, then I have to figure out what size ring would generate a field of whatever current over whatever length?

Just checking back on this last question, any ideas anyone?

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance, meaning there is no energy loss when electricity flows through it. This phenomenon occurs at extremely low temperatures, typically close to absolute zero.

2. How does a superconductor store energy?

A superconductor stores energy by trapping electric currents in a closed loop, known as a persistent current. This current can circulate indefinitely without any loss of energy due to the zero resistance of the material.

3. Is there a limit to the amount of energy that can be stored in a superconductor?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of energy that can be stored in a superconductor. This limit is determined by the critical magnetic field, which is the maximum magnetic field that a superconductor can withstand before losing its superconductivity. Once this limit is reached, the superconductor will return to its normal state and the stored energy will be released.

4. How is the critical magnetic field related to the amount of energy stored in a superconductor?

The critical magnetic field is directly related to the amount of energy stored in a superconductor. The higher the critical magnetic field, the more energy a superconductor can store. This is because a higher magnetic field can support a larger persistent current, which results in a greater amount of stored energy.

5. Can the amount of energy stored in a superconductor be increased?

Yes, the amount of energy stored in a superconductor can be increased by increasing the critical magnetic field or by using multiple superconducting loops. However, there is still a limit to the amount of energy that can be stored, as it cannot exceed the critical magnetic field of the superconductor.