Average velocity over an interval

In summary, the velocity of blood flow in a blood vessel can be represented by the equation v(r) = P/4nl (R^2 - r^2), where P is the pressure difference between the ends of the vessel and η is the viscosity of the blood. To find the average velocity vave over the interval 0 ≤ r ≤ R, we can use the formula vave = 1/(R-0) * integral of v(r) dr, which simplifies to vave = P/8nlR^2. To compare vave with the maximum velocity vmax, we can simply take the ratio of vave to vmax, which can be found by taking the derivative of v(r) and setting
rubecuber

Homework Statement

The velocity v of blood that flows in a blood vessel with radius R and length l at a distance r from the central axis is v(r), where P is the pressure difference between the ends of the vessel and η is the viscosity of the blood.
v(r) = P/4nl (R^2 - r^2)

a) Find the average velocity vave (with respect to r) over the interval 0 ≤ r ≤ R.
vave =

(b) Compare the average velocity vave with the maximum velocity vmax.

Homework Equations

v(r) = P/4nl (R^2 - r^2)
and
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=v2qyuycs2k81812&thumb=6

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm looking at this and trying to work it out and the best I can do now is cry. But seriously, I don't know what's important and what's not. I'll take anything. I know average velocity is 1/(b-a) integral of what you're doing but it doesn't make much sense to me to take the integral of that nasty equation so I'm at a loss.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a 'nasty' expression. P, n, l and R are constants. It's just a quadratic in r. Really, integrals don't come much easier. Just try it, ok? Split it into (P/(4nl))R^2-(P/(4nl))*r^2. This first term is just a constant and the second one is a constant time r^2. Oh, and use more parentheses. P/4nl could mean (P/4)*nl, (P/(4n))*l etc etc. They aren't the same.

GOT IT! Thanks.

For the second part of the problem how do you get the ratio? or find the max velocity to make the ratio

What is average velocity over an interval?

Average velocity over an interval is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over a specific period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time.

How is average velocity over an interval different from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity over an interval represents the overall average speed and direction of an object over a specific time period, while instantaneous velocity refers to the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

What units are used to measure average velocity over an interval?

The units for average velocity over an interval are distance units (such as meters or miles) divided by time units (such as seconds or hours). For example, meters per second or miles per hour.

Can average velocity over an interval be negative?

Yes, average velocity over an interval can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction from the chosen positive direction. This indicates that the object's displacement is decreasing over time.

How is average velocity over an interval calculated?

To calculate average velocity over an interval, you need to know the initial and final position of the object, as well as the time interval between the two positions. The formula is: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / time interval.