Solving a Physics Puzzle: Average Acceleration of a Tennis Ball

In summary, a person is asking for help with a physics problem involving a tennis ball being thrown at a wall and rebounding with a different speed. They want to know the average acceleration of the ball while in contact with the wall. They also ask for clarification on finding the net change of the ball's velocity and how to calculate average acceleration.
TheDividedSky
Hello, I'm starting to study physics, and I have a problem that I have puzzled me for long... here it is. any help appreciated. thanks in advanced.

A tennis ball with a speed of 23.6 m/s is
thrown perpendicularly at a wall. After strik-
ing the wall, the ball rebounds in the opposite
direction with a speed of 14.6 m/s.
If the ball is in contact with the wall for
0.014 sec, what is the average acceleration of
the ball while it is in contact with the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What's the net change of the ball's velocity ?(remember signs!)
2. How can you now find average acceleration?
3.Welcome to PF!

First, we need to define what average acceleration is. Average acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over a specific period of time. In this case, the period of time is the 0.014 seconds that the ball is in contact with the wall.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for average acceleration: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

We are given the initial velocity of the ball (23.6 m/s) and the final velocity (14.6 m/s). Plugging these values into the formula, we get: average acceleration = (14.6 m/s - 23.6 m/s) / 0.014 sec.

Simplifying this, we get an average acceleration of -643 m/s^2. The negative sign indicates that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity, which makes sense since the ball is rebounding off the wall.

I hope this helps to solve your problem and gives you a better understanding of average acceleration. Remember to always define the variables and use the appropriate formula to solve physics problems. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the formula for calculating average acceleration?

The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is average acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do I determine the initial and final velocities of a tennis ball?

The initial velocity of a tennis ball can be measured by releasing the ball from a known height and using the formula vi = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2) and h is the height. The final velocity can be measured by recording the time it takes for the ball to travel a known distance and using the formula vf = d/t, where d is distance and t is time.

3. How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a tennis ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of motion and can decrease the acceleration of a tennis ball. This is because the force of air resistance increases as the ball's speed increases, eventually reaching a point where it is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity rather than increasing acceleration.

4. Is there a difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Yes, there is a difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration. Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time and gives an overall measure of how the velocity of an object changes. Instantaneous acceleration, on the other hand, is the acceleration at a specific moment in time and can vary within a period of time.

5. How does the mass of the tennis ball affect its acceleration?

The mass of the tennis ball does not directly affect its acceleration, as stated in Newton's second law of motion (F = ma). However, a heavier ball may experience more air resistance, which can decrease its acceleration. Additionally, a heavier ball may require more force to be applied to it in order to accelerate it to a certain velocity.