Electromotive force and Lorenz Force HELP

In summary, if a rectangular coil with no current is moving at a velocity v and an infinitely long wire with a constant current i is on the same plane, perpendicular to the coil's velocity, the Lorenz force will be zero due to only the presence of electromotive force. However, the induced EMF will create a current in the coil which will interact with the magnetic field from the wire, resulting in torque and a net force on the coil due to variations in the applied field.
dilasluis
If I have a rectangular coil with no current flowing on it traveling at a velovity v; and I have an infinetely long wire with a constante current i on the same plane of the rectangular coil which velocity v is perpendicular to the wire, is the lorenz force equal to zero because I have only electromotive force?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a little complicated. The induced EMF will set up a current in the loop and that will interact with the primary magnetic field (from the wire). The primary effect will be torque acting on the loop but gradients in the applied field will yield a net force on the loop.

The Lorenz force is not equal to zero in this scenario because the presence of a constant current in the wire will create a magnetic field, which will interact with the moving coil. This interaction will result in a Lorenz force, which is the force experienced by a charged particle in a magnetic field. The electromotive force, on the other hand, is the force that drives the current in the circuit and is caused by the motion of the coil in the magnetic field. Therefore, both forces will be present and will have different effects on the system. The exact magnitude and direction of the Lorenz force will depend on the specific dimensions and velocities of the coil and wire, but it will not be equal to zero in this scenario.

1. What is electromotive force (EMF)?

Electromotive force, also known as EMF, is the potential difference or voltage generated by a source of electrical energy, such as a battery or power supply. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for driving electric current through a circuit.

2. How is EMF different from voltage?

Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while EMF refers to the potential difference generated by a source of electrical energy. In other words, voltage is a measure of the potential difference present in a circuit, while EMF is a measure of the potential difference produced by a source.

3. What is the unit of EMF?

The unit of EMF is the volt (V). However, it can also be measured in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or electron volts (eV).

4. What is Lorenz Force?

Lorenz Force, also known as magnetic force, is the force exerted on a charged particle when it moves through a magnetic field. It is perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the magnetic field and is responsible for the circular motion of charged particles in a magnetic field.

5. How does Lorentz Force affect charged particles in a magnetic field?

Lorentz Force causes charged particles to experience a force that is perpendicular to both their direction of motion and the magnetic field. This results in the particles moving in a circular or helical path, depending on the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as the Lorentz force law and is essential for understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.