Circuit for Hall effect sensor

In summary, the circuit for measuring current using a linear Hall effect sensor would involve powering the sensor with an 8-16 volt power supply and using a 3-pin 7812 regulator to get the sensor's output.
chudiandeyu
Hello
I recently bought a linear Hall effect sensor for measuring current, but I don't know how to make the circuit to measure the current, could anybody help me with this? Please tell me the circuit.
By the way, I use the linear Hall effect sensor CSLA2EL by Honeywell.
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's not easy...the first google link I got was labeled "datasheet" but I couldn't find any electrical connection information on it.

But I found a bunch of other datasheets here:
http://www.datasheets.org.uk/CSLA2EL-datasheet.html
and one has a pinout buried deeply in the noise. Now I forget which link I clicked and followed and interpreted, but you should be able to find it too...

It looks like they take a power supply of 8-16v and put out a voltage that is proportional to the current in the loop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is the datasheet for the Hall effect sensor in the unit. The calibration is in terms of the Gauss field in the toroid gap.

http://sccatalog.honeywell.com/pdbdownload/images/91ss12-2.pdf

See attached pdf for some info on electrical characteristics of current sensor Hall effect holder toroid.

[added] The performance specs for the Hall effect sensor are for operating with a 12 volt dc input. I suggest using a 7812 3-pin regulator. The Hall effect sensor output is an ac output for an ac current input. The null output offset voltage for zero current input is 6 volts ± 0.6 volts. The output appears to be an npn transistor current-sourcing emitter.

Bob S

Attachments

• Honeywell_p87914_1 (1).pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Charlie Scott said:
This pdf (CS Series Linear Current Sensor Holder Assemblies) is really useful.
Thanx bob,
http://www.halleffectsensor.org/

This is almost a necropost spam post, but the link is actually pretty useful and on-topic for this old thread.

1. What is a Hall effect sensor and how does it work?

A Hall effect sensor is a type of magnetic sensor that measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. It works by using the Hall effect, which is the production of a voltage difference across an electrical conductor when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the current flow.

2. What is the purpose of a circuit for a Hall effect sensor?

The circuit for a Hall effect sensor is used to amplify and condition the voltage output from the sensor. This allows for more accurate measurements of the magnetic field and makes it easier to integrate the sensor into electronic systems.

3. What components are typically included in a circuit for a Hall effect sensor?

A circuit for a Hall effect sensor typically includes a voltage regulator, amplifier, and filtering components such as capacitors and resistors. It may also include a microcontroller or other digital components for signal processing and output.

4. How do I choose the right circuit for my Hall effect sensor?

The right circuit for a Hall effect sensor will depend on the specific sensor you are using and your application requirements. Factors to consider when choosing a circuit include the desired output voltage range, sensitivity, and power consumption.

5. Can I design my own circuit for a Hall effect sensor?

Yes, it is possible to design your own circuit for a Hall effect sensor. However, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of electronic circuit design and experience with working with sensors and microcontrollers. It is also important to carefully consider the specifications and requirements of your sensor and application when designing the circuit.