Calculate Mass Of Shaft and Hollow Shaft

• Thread starter febbie22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Shaft
In summary, the weight per unit length of the shaft is 0.8555 kg/m. This was calculated using the formula V=Pie*h*(R^2 - r^2) and multiplying it by the density of the shaft, which is 2750. However, the mistake the person is making is using the incorrect numbers and not accounting for the inner diameter being the outer diameter minus twice the wall thickness.
febbie22
Hi, i have a shaft with OD = 33.40mm Wall Thickness = 3.38 mm length = 2.4m

Density of shaft = 2750

The weight per unit length that is given is 0.8555 kg/m

My question is how did they get it as I am using the volume formula for a cylinder which is

V=Pie*h(R^2 - r^2) then i times this by the density 2750 to get the mass but i get

1.111 which then divided by 2.4 would be 0.463.

Where am i going wrong.

Thanks for any help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check you're using the correct numbers, and remember that the inner diameter is the outer diameter minus twice the wall thickness. That caught a few folks in my class out.

1. How do you calculate the mass of a solid shaft?

To calculate the mass of a solid shaft, you will need to know its density and dimensions. Multiply the density by the volume of the shaft, which is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area by the length of the shaft. The resulting value will be the mass in either kilograms or pounds.

2. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a hollow shaft?

The formula for calculating the mass of a hollow shaft is (π/4) x (Do2 - Di2) x L x ρ, where Do is the outer diameter, Di is the inner diameter, L is the length, and ρ is the density of the material.

3. How do you convert the mass of a shaft from pounds to kilograms?

To convert the mass of a shaft from pounds to kilograms, divide the number of pounds by 2.205. The resulting value will be the mass in kilograms.

4. What is the difference between a solid shaft and a hollow shaft?

A solid shaft is a cylindrical object with a uniform cross-sectional area and a continuous solid structure throughout its entire length. A hollow shaft, on the other hand, has a hollow center with a varying cross-sectional area and a discontinuous structure.

5. What factors can affect the mass of a shaft?

The mass of a shaft can be affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, its dimensions, and its density. Other factors such as surface finish, temperature, and manufacturing process can also have an impact on the mass of a shaft.