Is It Possible to Create a Perfect Square Using Planck Lengths?

• Thread starter ianfort
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planck
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Planck lengths and whether it is possible to create a perfect square with sides that are only a few Planck lengths long. The participants also mention the idea that Planck length is not the shortest possible length but rather a limit. They also bring up the concept of quantized space and its relevance to theories of quantum gravity. It is debated whether the diagonal of a square with sides of a few Planck lengths would be irrational and how this relates to the non-Euclidean geometry at that scale.
ianfort
Hey guys I'm new here. I have a question about Planck lengths that has been bothering me lately. I'm not exactly well versed in the area of quantum physics, learning most of what I know from documentary shows and articles on the internet, so so this may seem like a stupid question, but...

Imagine you have a set of subatomic particles arranged uniformly in the shape of a square. The sides of this square are only a few Planck lengths. Now, if a square's sides are rational in length, then the diagonal between the square's corners MUST be irrational. But that can't be for this square, for that would require a non-integer amount of Planck length to exist between the square's corners.

Does this prove that its impossible to make a truly perfect square physically? If so, then how do Planck lengths fit together uniformly?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I've been taught about Plank length is that it isn't the shortest possible length, but is rather, the shortest length that makes sense physically, rather like absolute hot or absolute zero. It isn't a quantisation of distance, rather a limit. So, although you may have technically made something smaller, it isn't signifying anything, so that's fine.

Although I'm sure there's a better explanation.

Ah, thanks.

Yes, I agree with Kracatoan. Your argument is more applicable in the context of a quantized minimum length. Quantized space is of interest in many current attempts to quantize gravity, although I don't know what such theories have to say about your suggestion. For one thing, the geometry at that scale ceases to be Euclidean, and so it's not even clear that the irrationality of the diagonal in your case is true.

What is a Planck length?

A Planck length is a unit of length that represents the smallest measurable distance in the universe. It is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

Why is the Planck length considered the smallest possible distance?

The Planck length is considered the smallest possible distance because it is the point at which the laws of physics as we know them break down. At distances smaller than the Planck length, the effects of quantum gravity become significant and our current understanding of space and time no longer applies.

Can the Planck length be observed or measured?

No, the Planck length is currently too small to be observed or measured directly. It is purely a theoretical concept used in physics to understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

How does the Planck length relate to other units of length?

The Planck length is much smaller than any other unit of length commonly used in science. For reference, a proton is approximately 10^19 times larger than a Planck length, and the diameter of the observable universe is about 10^61 times larger.

What is the significance of the Planck length in physics?

The Planck length is significant because it is the scale at which the laws of physics as we know them break down, and it is the smallest possible unit of length that can be used to understand the fundamental properties of the universe. It also plays a role in theories of quantum gravity and attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature.