Fox News Pundits Call for Julian Assange's Assassination

• News
  • Thread starter Mathnomalous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary: Iranian government.In 1984, Beckel joined the Fox News Channel as a political analyst."In summary, Fox News pundits on live TV call for the assassination of Julian Assange, an Australian citizen who is accused of breaking "every law of the United States." Assange has published leaks of classified information that has allegedly harmed the US military and civilians.
Mathnomalous
As if anyone needed additional proof Fox News is a propaganda organization, here is a video of Fox News pundits demanding Julian Assange's assassination. Julian Assange, an Australian citizen, is called a "traitor" and "treasonous" and supposedly broke "every law of the United States."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d36xEvVnF2I&feature=player_embedded

Call for murder on live TV. This is your world, folks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bummer

Mathnomalous said:
As if anyone needed additional proof Fox News is a propaganda organization
Could you explain why you think it is propaganda? Are you saying that man works for the government?
Can you explain why killing Assange would constitute murder?

russ_watters said:

I think putting him behind bars would be a better option, otherwise he becomes a matyr (don't you think?) .

thorium1010 said:
I think putting him behind bars would be a better option, otherwise he becomes a matyr (don't you think?) .
I'm trying to figure out if the OP has applied any logic to this or is just knee-jerk reacting to a distasteful situation before fully laying out the logic for the conditions under which he should be killed. But for a sneak-peek: you're right that that is a concern, however one must weigh the risk of becoming a martyr (which would accomplish what?) vs the risk of Assange and his organization participating in battlefield killing of American soldiers and the murder of civilians in the war zone.

russ_watters said:
I'm trying to figure out if the OP has applied any logic to this or is just knee-jerk reacting to a distasteful situation before fully laying out the logic for the conditions under which he should be killed. But for a sneak-peek: you're right that that is a concern, however one must weigh the risk of becoming a martyr (which would accomplish what?) vs the risk of Assange and his organization participating in battlefield killing of American soldiers and the murder of civilians in the war zone.

julian assange is just one person. I would definitely be more worried about his aides or backers or his sources.More julian assange's may come out tomorrow and they may choose to remain anonymous (and internet has the power to do that). I would be more interested in targeting the source of the leaks than the man who publishes them.
Its like targetting the al qaeda who are being supported (financially) by certain groups or individuals in saudi arabia.If you are not targeting the backers, all your efforts are wasted

Mathnomalous said:
Call for murder on live TV.

I wonder is to what extent the american people backs these statements up? and then I mean the public, not politicians or soldiers.

How about starting a poll? What do you think of wikileaks? then give some options in the range

1. Assange and wikileaks wants to destroy our world, he and and all wikileaks supports should be killed (like suggested by the gentleman in the news clip), he wants to destroy our world.
2. Same as above, but killing assange is enough - spare the supporters. ?
3. ?
9. ?
10.. Assange is a hero, we are all in debt to Wikileaks for revealing corruption of democracy even though the truth hurts, and he and wikileaks should be protected rather than chased.

/Fredrik

Mathnomalous said:
Call for murder on live TV.

russ_watters said:

I think Bob Beckel, makes it rather clear:
Beckel said:
And if I'm not for the death penalty, there's only one way to do it: illegally shoot the son of a b***h
(emphasis mine)

russ_watters said:
But for a sneak-peek: you're right that that is a concern, however one must weigh the risk of becoming a martyr (which would accomplish what?) vs the risk of Assange and his organization participating in battlefield killing of American soldiers and the murder of civilians in the war zone.
You know what I think is the easiest way to silence WikiLeaks? Demonstrate that their actions have directly led to battlefield killing of American soldiers and the murder of civilians in the war zone (especially the latter).

Mathnomalous said:
As if anyone needed additional proof Fox News is a propaganda organization, here is a video of Fox News pundits demanding Julian Assange's assassination. Julian Assange, an Australian citizen, is called a "traitor" and "treasonous" and supposedly broke "every law of the United States."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d36xEvVnF2I&feature=player_embedded

You do realize that Bob Beckel made the comment?
http://www.foxnews.com/bios/talent/bob-beckel/

"Beckel managed Walter Mondale's 1984 campaign for the presidency."
"After a political baptism as a college student in Robert Kennedy's 1968 campaign, a tour of duty in the Peace Corps and a successful stint heading up his own consulting firm, Bob Beckel joined the government in 1977.

As the deputy assistant secretary of state, he steered the controversial Panama Canal Treaties through Congress. He moved to the Carter White House to head an administration effort to press Congress into passing the Middle East and Salt II treaties.

He resumed his career as a political consultant until Walter Mondale asked him to manage his 1984 campaign for the presidency. As national campaign manager, he oversaw the successful race for the Democratic nomination. He holds a B.A. from Wagner College in Staten Island, New York."

Bob is not exactly a right wing propagandist - quite the opposite.
If you listen to the entre segment, they discuss how Assange is a security threat and engaged in blackmail (possibly treason) and might be targeted. To this point, I might have to agree - if you paint a target on your chest and dance around in the face of authority when they have much to lose- don't be surprised if someone fires a shot.

I think the US is starting to be viewed as "soft".

Again IMO, it might have started with the Justice Departments handling of; the Black Panther in Philadelphia, the whole Gitmo fiasco including the proposed relocation of the trials to NY (every nut wants to testify on the world's stage), the Fort Hood shooting, the underwear bomber, the Times Square Bomber, and the recent conviction on 1 count (of 200+) of a terrorist. Next we have a frustrated public that wonders why we can't profile at airports and instead subject everyone to invasive searches. At the same time, I don't think the recent failed bombing attempt (FBI sting - weapon not real) at a Christmas Tree lighting ceremony or the Maryland suspect gave anyone a sense of security.

To make matters worse, even when the suspect admits they were motivated by religion - specifically a Muslim - in order to be politically correct - we must turn a deaf ear and make effort to be sensitive to peaceful Muslims.

There is an old saying - don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Please understand, I am not anti-Muslim. I have many Muslim (Jewish and Hindu as well) friends and professional associates. I can assure you they appreciate our continued kindness and respect - but they are not the problem.

The problem might best be summarized when a suspect makes this statement:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/08/maryland.plot/index.html
"Antonio Martinez, 21, was upset by U.S. forces killing Muslims overseas and plotted to blow up the Armed Forces Career Center in the Baltimore suburb of Catonsville, Maryland, according to a federal agent's affidavit. Martinez, a Muslim convert who goes by the name Muhammad Hussain, was arrested Wednesday morning after attempting to detonate an inert device supplied to him by an undercover FBI agent, federal prosecutors announced.

"He stated that because the military in the United States and other countries were fighting against Muslims, soldiers were legitimate targets," according to the affidavit. "

It's time to make sure the ENEMY doesn't think we're weak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
I think Bob Beckel, makes it rather clear: (emphasis mine)
It makes it clear that he thinks it is murder but doesn't explain why. Besides: I'm more interested in peoples opinions here than some random pundit.

WhoWee said:
I think the US is starting to be viewed as "soft".
By who?

Gokul43201 said:
You know what I think is the easiest way to silence WikiLeaks? Demonstrate that their actions have directly led to battlefield killing of American soldiers and the murder of civilians in the war zone (especially the latter).
Awful idea. what do you think it will do for the level of support we receive if we show the afghani people we can't protect them if they help us?

russ_watters said:
It makes it clear that he thinks it is murder but doesn't explain why. Besides: I'm more interested in peoples opinions here than some random pundit.
Okay, so you're not saying that Math's characterization of Beckel's call for illegally taking out Assange does not constitute a call for murder. You are asking Math if he agrees with Beckel that killing Assange would be illegal?

russ_watters said:
Awful idea. what do you think it will do for the level of support we receive if we show the afghani people we can't protect them if they help us?
I don't know about that (as in, it may already be too late for that, if the news about the leaks has made it to most parts of Afghanistan), but I think it would be the easist and surest way of silencing WL.

If that's a tricky proposition, how about demonstrating that WL directly caused the death of an American soldier?

russ_watters said:

Is this going to be a dictionary argument? Alright, I guess I'll go first.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/murder?show=0&t=1291905277

: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought

What definition do you want next? Unlawfully? Malice? Aforethought? Person?

russ_watters said:

Really?

I think it would be easier for Russ to explain how killing Assange (without due process, etc.) would not be murder. That would take a lot of guesswork and wasteful back-and-forth out of this discussion.

Gokul43201 said:
By who?
People that wish to do harm.

WhoWee said:
People that wish to do harm.
Harm, in general, or harm to the US specifically? I think very few people would consider the US "soft" relative to most of the rest of the industrial world. The US is now engaged in air-strikes in two more countries than it was five years ago. Declaration or war or not, the US has demonstrated that it is willing and able to take preventive (not just pre-emptive) military actions, even within countries that it refers to as allies. I don't believe any other European country will likely go as far as that.

Gokul43201 said:
Harm, in general, or harm to the US specifically? I think very few people would consider the US "soft" relative to most of the rest of the industrial world. The US is now engaged in air-strikes in two more countries than it was five years ago. Declaration or war or not, the US has demonstrated that it is willing and able to take preventive (not just pre-emptive) military actions, even within countries that it refers to as allies. I don't believe any other European country will likely go as far as that.

I cites these examples...

"Again IMO, it might have started with the Justice Departments handling of; the Black Panther in Philadelphia, the whole Gitmo fiasco including the proposed relocation of the trials to NY (every nut wants to testify on the world's stage), the Fort Hood shooting, the underwear bomber, the Times Square Bomber, and the recent conviction on 1 count (of 200+) of a terrorist. Next we have a frustrated public that wonders why we can't profile at airports and instead subject everyone to invasive searches. At the same time, I don't think the recent failed bombing attempt (FBI sting - weapon not real) at a Christmas Tree lighting ceremony or the Maryland suspect gave anyone a sense of security."

and the Maryland suspect's quote...

""Antonio Martinez, 21, was upset by U.S. forces killing Muslims overseas and plotted to blow up the Armed Forces Career Center in the Baltimore suburb of Catonsville, Maryland, according to a federal agent's affidavit. Martinez, a Muslim convert who goes by the name Muhammad Hussain, was arrested Wednesday morning after attempting to detonate an inert device supplied to him by an undercover FBI agent, federal prosecutors announced.

"He stated that because the military in the United States and other countries were fighting against Muslims, soldiers were legitimate targets," according to the affidavit. " "

To your point, I seriously doubt any troublesome countries such as Cuba, Iran, or North Korea would ever challenge our military directly. Our threat is from small and organized groups and lone wolf characters.

The problem with Assange and others like him might be better analyzed by considering the sheer volume of information - he could not have possibly read everything he leaked.

Does this mean he didn't care about the content? What is his limit - where would he draw the line? Would he give the names and addresses of persons in a witness protection program? Would he give names and addresses of active informants and Government personnel?

What if this was a diversion - how do we know he didn't sell sensitive information lost in the sheer volume of the dump?

WhoWee said:
I cites these examples...

"Again IMO, it might have started with the Justice Departments handling of; the Black Panther in Philadelphia, the whole Gitmo fiasco including the proposed relocation of the trials to NY (every nut wants to testify on the world's stage), the Fort Hood shooting, the underwear bomber, the Times Square Bomber, and the recent conviction on 1 count (of 200+) of a terrorist. Next we have a frustrated public that wonders why we can't profile at airports and instead subject everyone to invasive searches. At the same time, I don't think the recent failed bombing attempt (FBI sting - weapon not real) at a Christmas Tree lighting ceremony or the Maryland suspect gave anyone a sense of security."

and the Maryland suspect's quote...

""Antonio Martinez, 21, was upset by U.S. forces killing Muslims overseas and plotted to blow up the Armed Forces Career Center in the Baltimore suburb of Catonsville, Maryland, according to a federal agent's affidavit. Martinez, a Muslim convert who goes by the name Muhammad Hussain, was arrested Wednesday morning after attempting to detonate an inert device supplied to him by an undercover FBI agent, federal prosecutors announced.

"He stated that because the military in the United States and other countries were fighting against Muslims, soldiers were legitimate targets," according to the affidavit. " "
Do you think these kind of attacks or plots would stop if US becomes a lot more aggressive or carry out more strikes ?
I do not know how it seems that wikileaks makes the US weak in defending itself. Osama bin laden planned the 9/11 attacks, because he saw US a major power interfering in the middle east and considered US as very powerful country guided by evil forces or something like that which can be brought down despite the military might

Killing Assange is preposterous, the USG needs to get their hands on him and make him talk. Earlier on this board it was suggested that the divide is that of generations. In case older people and Fox news crew have not noticed, Assange is in jail, the problem is not gone and evolving rapidly. The last aspect is by far the most worrisome. Nobody wants the first "cyberwar" which would create fanatics. I am unsure that the current strategy will appease those young hackers who dream to finally achieve something of historical significance in their life (given their computer skills, they probably had given up this hope years ago).

humanino said:
Killing Assange is preposterous, the USG needs to get their hands on him and make him talk.

Make him talk about what?

I am unsure that the current strategy will appease those young hackers who dream to finally achieve something of historical significance in their life (given their computer skills, they probably had given up this hope years ago).

What makes you so sure about their motivation, and what do computer skills have to do with achieving something of historical significance?

humanino said:
Killing Assange is preposterous, the USG needs to get their hands on him and make him talk. Earlier on this board it was suggested that the divide is that of generations. In case older people and Fox news crew have not noticed, Assange is in jail, the problem is not gone and evolving rapidly. The last aspect is by far the most worrisome. Nobody wants the first "cyberwar" which would create fanatics. I am unsure that the current strategy will appease those young hackers who dream to finally achieve something of historical significance in their life (given their computer skills, they probably had given up this hope years ago).

Perhaps the answer is to make a stern warning to would-be cyber-terrorists - then prosecute to the level specified in the event someone decides to progress?

I boldened your statement because it sounds a bit preposterous to me. He's certinly not going to be water-boarded (used it to make a point). The reality is that if brought to the US, he'll be represented by a slew of attorneys (probably at no cost to him) and thus far, he's in jail pending sex charges.

thorium1010 said:
Do you think these kind of attacks or plots would stop if US becomes a lot more aggressive or carry out more strikes ?
I do not know how it seems that wikileaks makes the US weak in defending itself. Osama bin laden planned the 9/11 attacks, because he saw US a major power interfering in the middle east and considered US as very powerful country guided by evil forces or something like that which can be brought down despite the military might

I think you misunderstand my point. IMO - the US Attorney General is the weak link.

Office_Shredder said:
Make him talk about what?
Anything, everything. He claims that there is no record of the sources of the leaks. That is obviously unfortunate, because they should be the first people to find. But we can not buy that there is no trace of them without even checking. The other priority would be to identify the rest of the wikileaks crew. Their identity could also be leaked for the general public to know. That might deter other people from contributing (hackers tend to enjoy remaining "anonymous"). Another example would be : to understand the network weaknesses he exploited and try to fix them.

Office_Shredder said:
What makes you so sure about their motivation, and what do computer skills have to do with achieving something of historical significance?
I was of course being a little bit ironic. I believe there is a sense of superiority amongst highly skilled technology experts. When combined with little social life it produces a frustrating disconnect with reality. The illusion of doing something positive of historical significance can compensate for this frustration. It seems like an potentially explosive cocktail to me.

WhoWee said:
He's certinly not going to be water-boarded (used it to make a point). The reality is that if brought to the US, he'll be represented by a slew of attorneys (probably at no cost to him) and thus far, he's in jail pending sex charges.
In the past, the USG did not scruple about declaring individuals terrorist and not providing them with attorneys. If it is acceptable to call for murder of Assange on one of the most important US network, it appears to me that not committing murder but merely declaring Assange terrorist would not stir much controversy.

humanino said:
In the past, the USG did not scruple about declaring individuals terrorist and not providing them with attorneys. If it is acceptable to call for murder of Assange on one of the most important US network, it appears to me that not committing murder but merely declaring Assange terrorist would not stir much controversy.

Don't worry about Assange. If he ends up in the US, the Attorney General will make sure "his rights" are protected - he shouldn't need to make an utterance.

WhoWee said:
Don't worry about Assange. If he ends up in the US, the Attorney General will make sure "his rights" are protected - he shouldn't need to make an utterance.
Unless he is subject to rendition. That never happens, right? I like our system of justice, but I do not have blind faith in its faithful execution by people with political positions to protect, and agendas to promote.

turbo-1 said:
Unless he is subject to rendition. That never happens, right? I like our system of justice, but I do not have blind faith in its faithful execution by people with political positions to protect, and agendas to promote.

Assange has nothing to worry about - wouldn't it be something if the AG's old firm would represent him? I think it would be really nice.:wink:

Assange should pray for rendition.
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_16271913?source=rss&nclick_check=1
"Evidence gleaned in rendition interrogation barred in terror trial
"

"Speaking in Washington, Holder seemed to play down the ruling's significance.

"We are talking about one ruling, in one case by one judge," Holder said.

Ghailani was scheduled to begin trial on charges he conspired in the embassy bombings in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The attacks, orchestrated by al-Qaida, killed 224 people."[/I]

WhoWee said:
Perhaps the answer is to make a stern warning to would-be cyber-terrorists - then prosecute to the level specified in the event someone decides to progress?

On that we agree. The most important part of this story may be precedence This has been called the first information war. Cyber-terrorism needs to be treated accordingly - as acts of war.

The guy is trying to blackmail the US by threatening US security interests and endagering the lives of untold numbers of people. That is an act of war.

...that means we have the right to kill him if necessary.

Ivan Seeking said:
...that means we have the right to kill him if necessary.
My point was that it does not appear necessary or even helpful.

humanino said:
My point was that it does not appear necessary or even helpful.

Hopefully not.

I see his actions as being potentially more damaging than those of the 911 attackers.