Sets Proof (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA)

• Thread starter sponsoredwalk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Sets
In summary, the speaker is discussing set theory and trying to prove the following statement: (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA). They provide the definitions for A ⊆ B and λB and then attempt to prove the statement using logical equivalences and a truth table. They eventually come to the conclusion that the statement is true by recognizing the logical equivalence of (¬B ⇒ ¬A) ⇔ (A ⇒ B).
sponsoredwalk
Just doing some of the set theory questions at the start of a calculus book & I'm kind of
confused about how to prove the following:

(A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA)

(Note: λB denotes the complement relative to the universal set, as with & λA)

I'm trying to get used to proving this as if I'm unfurling the definitions & forming a chain of
implications as opposed to the hand waving I used to do :redface: It's late & I could be
just making a careless mistake, please let me know what you think.

First the definitions:

(A ⊆ B) := {x ∈ S | (x ∈ A) ⇒ (x ∈ B)}

λB := {x ∈ S | (x ∈ S) ⋀ (x ∉ B)}

So I think that the proof would go as follows:

x ∈ (A ⊆ λB) ⇒ [ (x ∈ A) ⇒ (x ∈ S) ⋀ (x ∈ λB) ] ⇒ [((x ∈ A) ⇒ (x ∈ S))((x ∈ A) ⇒ (x ∈ λB)) ]

I'm just confused now, at first I read the question without reading the ⇔ (B ⊆ λA)
part of it, just to see could I arrive at it naturally like I had in the other questions but
I just can't see the way to move here :frown:

I think I have these proofs down & am following the best method, a quick verification
of what I'm doing is the proof that (C ⊆ A) ⋀ (C ⊆ B) ⇔ C ⊆ (A ∩ B), just to make sure
I'm not assuming things or making careless mistakes:
x ∈ [(C ⊆ A) ⋀ (C ⊆ B)] ⇒ [((x ∈ C) ⇒ (x ∈ A)) ⋀ ((x ∈ C) ⇒ (x ∈ B))][(x ∈ C) ⇒ (x ∈ A) ⋀ (x ∈ B)][(x ∈ C) ⇒ (x ∈ (A ∩ B))]
which shows that [(C ⊆ A) ⋀ (C ⊆ B)] ⇒ [C ⊆ (A ∩ B)] & you just do it backwards to show that ⇔ holds. I think that's right, yeah?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](A \subseteq B^c) \Leftrightarrow (B \subseteq A^c)[/tex]

it should help to notice that if A is a subset of B^c, A and B have no elements in common, so
[tex]A \cap B = \emptyset[/tex]

Shoudl pretty much follow from there

Yeah I see what you mean by that & I do understand that. I constructed a big truth table
& found the logical equivalence that corresponds to the scenario on the right & came to
the answer. Please let me illustrate it briefly:

[itex]\begin{displaymath}
\begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c}
A
& \lnot{}A
& B
& \lnot{}B
& A\lor{}B
& \lnot{}(A\lor{}B)
& A\land{}B
& \lnot{}(A\land{}B)
& B\land{}A
& \lnot{}(B\land{}A)
& (A\Rightarrow{}B)
& (\lnot{}B\Rightarrow{}\lnot{}A)
& (B\Rightarrow{}A)
& (A\Leftrightarrow{}B) \\
\hline
0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
\hline
\end{array}
\end{displaymath}
[/itex]

Using this we'll see some equivalent situations:

[itex] (A \ \subseteq \ B^c) \ \Rightarrow \ [ \ (x \ \in \ A) \ \rightarrow \ (x \ \in \ B^c) \ ] \Rightarrow \ [ \ (x \ \not\in \ A^c) \ \rightarrow \ (x \ \not\in \ B) \ ] [/itex]

Noticing on the truth table that (¬B ⇒ ¬A) ⇔ (A ⇒ B)

[itex] [ \ (x \ \not\in \ A^c) \ \rightarrow \ (x \ \not\in \ B) \ ] \ \Rightarrow \ [ \ (x \ \in \ B) \ \rightarrow \ (x \ \in \ A^c) \ ] \Rightarrow (B \ \subseteq \ A^c) [/itex]

I guess it's just a matter of knowing the logical equivalences well enough to recognise
when to substitute them in, thanks a lot :biggrin:

1. What is the definition of "Sets Proof (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA)"?

The statement "Sets Proof (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA)" means that set A is a subset of set B if and only if set B is a subset of set A. In other words, if every element in set A is also an element in set B, and vice versa, then sets A and B are considered equal.

2. How do you prove that (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA)?

To prove that (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA), you need to show that if A is a subset of B, then B is also a subset of A, and vice versa. This can be done using the definition of a subset, which states that if every element in A is also in B, then A is a subset of B.

3. Can you provide an example of (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA)?

One example of (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA) is the following: let A be the set of all even numbers and B be the set of all integers. Since every even number is also an integer, A is a subset of B. Similarly, since every integer is also an even number, B is a subset of A. Therefore, (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA) holds true in this example.

4. What is the significance of (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA) in mathematics?

The statement (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA) is significant in mathematics because it represents the concept of equality between sets. It shows that two sets are considered equal if and only if they contain the same elements. This concept is crucial in various branches of mathematics, such as set theory, algebra, and topology.

5. Can (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA) be used to prove other mathematical statements?

Yes, (A ⊆ λB) ⇔ (B ⊆ λA) can be used to prove other mathematical statements, as it is a fundamental concept in set theory. For example, it can be used to prove the commutative property of set intersection and union. It can also be used to prove the distributive property of set intersection and union over set difference.