Converging a Series: Finding the Actual Value Using Integral Approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the sum of a series with a variable exponent. The question asks for general methods to solve this problem, and the discussion mentions using integral approximation and the Euler-Maclaurin integration formulas as possible approaches. The main concern is finding a good approximation with a small error term.
mentil

Homework Statement

v=sum of i*(i+1)/((1+y)^i) from i =1 to i=infinity

for y > 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't a homework question per se (and I'm not that interested in the actual number solution), but how would one go about solving v? Are there any general tricks? I tried searching online, but all I could find are ways to prove that it converges -- not that how to find the actual converging value. It easy to see that it converges, just having a little trouble finding out to what value it does.

Physics news on Phys.org
mentil said:

Homework Statement

v=sum of i*(i+1)/((1+y)^i) from i =1 to i=infinity

for y > 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't a homework question per se (and I'm not that interested in the actual number solution), but how would one go about solving v? Are there any general tricks? I tried searching online, but all I could find are ways to prove that it converges -- not that how to find the actual converging value. It easy to see that it converges, just having a little trouble finding out to what value it does.

I don't know if this helps you but one trick that mathematicians use for these kind of problems is to use an integral approximation.

This can work depending on how big or small the error term is.

In a nutshell it works by simply finding the integral of the specified function, but the problem is that if the error is too large then its basically useless for the application you have in mind (ie finding a good approximation).

The Euler-Maclaurin Integration Formulas might be what you need:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Euler-MaclaurinIntegrationFormulas.html

Good luck!

1. What is convergence of a series?

Convergence of a series refers to the behavior of a mathematical series, where the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How is convergence determined?

Convergence is determined by analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series as the number of terms increases. If the terms approach a finite value, the series is said to converge.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence means that the series converges regardless of the order in which the terms are added, while conditional convergence means that the series only converges when the terms are added in a specific order.

4. What are some common tests for convergence?

Some common tests for convergence include the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests help determine whether a series converges or diverges by analyzing the behavior of its terms.

5. Why is it important to understand convergence of a series?

Understanding convergence of a series is important in various areas of mathematics and science, as it allows for the evaluation of infinite sums and the prediction of future values in a sequence. It also plays a crucial role in calculus and other branches of mathematics.