Differentiate the given function

In summary: Can you try that again?In summary, the chain rule is used to differentiate the function g(x) which has the following equation: x^3*e^-1/x + 3^x*ln(1/x).
1irishman

Homework Statement

differentiate the following funtion: g(x) = x^3*e^-1/x + 3^x*ln(1/x)

Homework Equations

chain rule and product rule

The Attempt at a Solution

x^3*d/dg(e^-1/x)d/dg(x)^3 + 3^x

sorry...i am very confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to serve you better can you please state the chain rule.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
In order to serve you better can you please state the chain rule.
yes i think it is:

F'x = f'(g(x))g'(x)

Lets look at the function g(x) in parts. Let's consider the first part...
x^3(e^(-1/x))

You need the chain rule and the product rule to differentiate this term. Can you try differentiating it again ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Lets look at the function g(x) in parts. Let's consider the first part...
x^3(e^(-1/x))

You need the chain rule and the product rule to differentiate this term. Can you try differentiating it again ?

Hi, is it the following with a common factor for the first part i mean?

e^-1/x(x^3 + 3x^2)?

I have no idea of what you just said...

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I have no idea of what you just said...
that was my attempt at differntiating the first part.

How?

Okay what is the derievative of x^3 and of e^(1/x) ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
How?

Okay what is the derievative of x^3 and of e^(1/x) ?

3x^2 and e^-1/x
is that right?

No. Use the chain rule on e^(-1/x). From your comment it is becoming exceedingly obvious that you do not understand derievatives. Have you considered reviewing your class notes ?

thanks

I suggest to read up on derievatives and then attempt the problem again. If you still need help post again.

No, i will wait for a more helpful response.

:-).

Perhaps you should leave your BIG ego at the door before you come into these forums to help people? There's a lot of things many people know that you do not know 'exceedingly well.'

I am sorry if you feel that way!:-)

I just thought it would be better if you read up on derievatives before attempting the problem.

The derievative of e^(-1/x) is e^(-1/x)*(1/x^2) this is a straight forward application of the chain rule which I asked you for at the outset of this discussion; which you in turn gave me.

Your answer to the question simply revealed that you did not have a firm grasp on derievatives and I was only proposing a remedy to that. :-)

I could give you the answer to the problem in a single post but I felt it was my duty to help you understand things a little better.

No, what implies the "BIG" ego is your refusal to study up on something you need in order to solve the problem you wish to solve, with the hope of waiting for someone to solve it for you. Use the chain rule on e-1/x and then apply the product rule.

There's nothing wrong with ╔(σ_σ)╝'s advice. Maybe a little abrupt with not going into the chain rule a little more but you are missing it. You've already stated the chain rule f'(g(x))g'(x). In the case of e^(-1/x) that makes f(x)=e^x and g(x)=(-1/x), right? What's the derivative of f and the derivative of g and can you put them into that chain rule formula?

I am sorry as well. I see now what you are saying, and your response has been helpful. :-)

Follow the last two suggestions given by thejorge551 and dick.

Dick said:
There's nothing wrong with ╔(σ_σ)╝'s advice. Maybe a little abrupt with not going into the chain rule a little more but you are missing it. You've already stated the chain rule f'(g(x))g'(x). In the case of e^(-1/x) that makes f(x)=e^x and g(x)=(-1/x), right? What's the derivative of f and the derivative of g and can you put them into that chain rule formula?
Isn't f(x)=e^-1/x?

1irishman said:
Isn't f(x)=e^-1/x?
actually nevermind

-e^x/x^3 ?

1irishman said:
-e^x/x^3 ?
No. Please carefully read dick's post again. Besides, I already gave the answer 2 post ago.

Moderator's note: Let's all calm down. I have deleted some posts that contained unnecessary arguing.

1irishman, the derivative of e^(-1/x) would involve taking the derivative of (-1/x), according to the chain rule.

1. What is the definition of differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It involves finding the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.

2. What are the steps to differentiate a function?

The steps to differentiate a function are as follows:

• Step 1: Identify the function and determine the variable that is changing.
  • Step 2: Use the power rule or other differentiation rules to find the derivative of the function.
  • Step 3: Simplify the expression for the derivative.

3. How is differentiation used in real life?

Differentiation is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to calculate rates of change, such as velocity, acceleration, and growth rates. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

4. Can all functions be differentiated?

No, not all functions can be differentiated. A function must be continuous and have a defined rate of change at every point in order to be differentiated.

5. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations. Differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a function, while integration is used to find the area under a curve. In other words, differentiation is a process of finding the derivative of a function, while integration is a process of finding the anti-derivative of a function.