Exploring Homomorphism: Proving f(G) is a Subgroup of H

• Thread starter steroidjunkie
  • Start date
In summary, to show that the image of a homomorphism f of group G into group H is a subgroup of H, we need to prove that f(G) is a non-empty subset of H and that for any elements h1 and h2 in f(G), their product h1*h2-1 is also in f(G). This is because homomorphisms preserve the identity and inverses in a group. We can prove this by showing that f(G) satisfies the four axioms of a group.
steroidjunkie
1. Show that image of homomorphism f of group G into group H is a subgroup of H.

2. f(G) [tex]\equiv[/tex] { f(g) | g [tex]\in[/tex] G } [tex]\subset[/tex] H

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I don't know how to start. So if I could get a hint it would be great...

Physics news on Phys.org

steroidjunkie said:
1. Show that image of homomorphism f of group G into group H is a subgroup of H.

2. f(G) [tex]\equiv[/tex] { f(g) | g [tex]\in[/tex] G } [tex]\subset[/tex] H

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I don't know how to start. So if I could get a hint it would be great...

You need to show f(G) is nonempty and if h1 and h2 are in f(G), then h1*h2-1 is in f(G), where * is the group operation in H.

steroidjunkie said:
Definitions are usually a good place to start. Most "simple" problems like this are trivial exercises in naive set theory after the translation.

Thank you for your guidelines. This is what I came up with: (click on the picture to show it and again to see it clearly)

Attachments

• CodeCogsEqn.gif
    CodeCogsEqn.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:

steroidjunkie said:
Thank you for your guidelines. This is what I came up with: (click on the picture to show it and again to see it clearly)

It will be much easier to have a discussion if you put your equations here. Use the X2 button for superscripts. So it is easy to write a-1.

You might start by answering this: What is the test for a subset M of a group G to be a subgroup?

What do homomorphisms do to the identity and to inverses?

I think i found the solution. I need to show that f(G) is a nonempty set and that for every g1 and g2 element f(G): g1*g2-1 element f(G) by prooving four axioms of group.

And the answer to the second question is: homomorphism of an identity is an identity and homomorphism of an inverse is an inverse.

Thank you to both of you.

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure and operations of a group. In other words, it maps elements from one group to another in a way that maintains the relationships between the elements and their operations.

2. How do you prove that f(G) is a subgroup of H?

To prove that f(G) is a subgroup of H, you must show that f(G) satisfies the three conditions of a subgroup: closure, identity, and inverse. This means that the image of any two elements under f must also be in f(G), the identity element of G must map to the identity element of H, and every element in G must have an inverse that also maps to an inverse in H.

3. What is the significance of proving f(G) is a subgroup of H?

Proving that f(G) is a subgroup of H is significant because it allows us to study the structure and properties of G through the lens of H. This can provide insights and simplifications in understanding the group G, as well as in solving problems related to it.

4. Can a homomorphism be surjective and injective at the same time?

Yes, a homomorphism can be both surjective (onto) and injective (one-to-one). This means that all elements of the group H have a corresponding element in the image of G, and no two elements in G map to the same element in H.

5. What is the difference between a homomorphism and an isomorphism?

A homomorphism is a general mapping that preserves the structure of a group, while an isomorphism is a special type of homomorphism that is bijective (both injective and surjective). This means that an isomorphism not only preserves the structure and operations of a group, but also the cardinality (number of elements) of the group.