Fluid Mechanics - Turbulent flow velocity profile

In summary, the water in a pipe with a smaller diameter will flow at a higher rate than the air in the duct. The water in a pipe with a larger diameter will flow at a lower rate than the air in the duct.
1trumpet
Hi

I'm a mechanical engineering student who has been set a question by my fluid mechanics lecturer. I need to plot the velocity flow profile of water flowing in a pipe. The information given in the question is

diameter = 0.5m
Re = 10^5

I know that the seventh power law is used to find velocity profile, but I can't see how I can use it without knowing max velocity, and I can't see how I can find max velocity without knowing dynamic viscosity or flow rate.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way? I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reynolds Number = (pVD) / μ

Where p = density of fluid, V = mean velocity, D = hydraulic diameter, μ = dynamic viscosity.

We know all of those factors aside from V. So you can work out the mean velocity, which should give you the flow rate.

For dynamic/kinematic velocity: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-dynamic-kinematic-viscosity-d_596.html

I'm not sure if there's anything to work out though. Do you need an accurate plot based on figures or just show the basic flow pattern?

If you know the reynolds number, you know the type of flow within the pipe. From that you should know what type of pattern to expect and you could show the expected profile.

Thanks for your answer.

The dynamic viscosity depends on temperature, which is not given. Or are you suggesting I should assume ambient temperature?

Yes, it is already mentioned in the question that it is turbulent flow, so I know what the pattern should look like. An accurate plot is what I'm after.

I'd appreciate it if you could provide the full question for reference.

So far as temperature goes, I'd prefer to see the question. But I would probably assume ambient.

Here is the question in full:

For turbulent flow, the velocity profile inside a duct and a pipe of diameters Dd and Dp and
both with distance y from the centre line is: vy/vy=0=(1-y/7)1/7, where vy=0=vmean/0.817 and vmean=Q/A. Plot the velocity profiles for:

(a) Air flowing in a duct measuring Dd = 0.6m and with Re = 105.
(b) Water flowing in a pipe measuring Dp = 0.5m and with Re = 105.
(c) Calculate the vmean and vy=0 for both cases (a) and (b)
(d) If the Blasius equation f = 0.079Re-0.25 applies, calculate the values of f and ΔP/L for (a)

was there an answer to this question??

1. What is turbulent flow velocity profile?

Turbulent flow velocity profile refers to the distribution of fluid velocity across a cross-sectional area in a turbulent flow. In turbulent flow, the fluid moves in an irregular, chaotic manner, resulting in a fluctuating velocity profile. This is in contrast to laminar flow, where the fluid moves in a smooth, predictable manner.

2. How is turbulent flow velocity profile different from laminar flow velocity profile?

Turbulent flow velocity profile differs from laminar flow velocity profile in several ways. In turbulent flow, the velocity profile is irregular and fluctuating, while in laminar flow, the velocity profile is smooth and predictable. Additionally, turbulent flow has a higher overall velocity than laminar flow, and the velocity gradient is steeper in turbulent flow.

3. What factors affect the turbulent flow velocity profile?

The turbulent flow velocity profile is affected by several factors, including the fluid viscosity, density, and velocity, as well as the size and shape of the object in the flow and the surface roughness of the object. These factors can impact the degree of turbulence and the shape of the velocity profile.

4. How is the turbulent flow velocity profile measured?

The turbulent flow velocity profile can be measured using various techniques, such as hot-wire anemometry, laser Doppler anemometry, and particle image velocimetry. These techniques use sensors and imaging technologies to measure the velocity at different points in the flow and construct a velocity profile.

5. Why is understanding the turbulent flow velocity profile important?

Understanding the turbulent flow velocity profile is important in various industrial and engineering applications, such as in designing efficient and effective fluid systems, predicting the forces and stresses on objects in turbulent flows, and optimizing energy consumption. It is also crucial in understanding the physics of turbulent flows, which are present in many natural phenomena, such as atmospheric and oceanic currents.