Exploring the Potential for Habitable Planets in the Alpha Centauri Star System

In summary: However, because Wikipedia is a collaborative site, it's possible that an editor who opposes your views will remove your edits.In summary, the article says that a planet might be able to form within a distance of 1.1 AU of Alpha Centauri B, but that it's not clear if the planet's orbit will remain stable for at least 250 million years. It's possible to simulate different planets with different initial conditions, but it's not clear if the government has funded any research into this technology.
Plebeian
I have been reading about the star system on wiki and noticed that one of the Alpha Centauri stars could in theory have a terrestrial planet in the goldilocks region. I also came to know that its orbit would only be stable for 250 million years. Given that these stars have been around for a few billions of years, do you think that we will be able to find a planet if and when we develop technology that can detect terrestrial planets? Are we late? 250 million years sounds like an awfully small amount of time for complex life to evolve, but is it possible for the planet to have a stable atmosphere that can support life?

I also read that the government has stopped the funding for developing technology needed for the detection of terrestrial planets. Is anyone else trying to develop this technology or is that the end of it? :(

I hope one day we get to see it closely and unravel its mysteries. As James Kirk in Star Trek said "Alpha Centauri is a beautiful place, you ought to see it".

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Plebeian said:
I also read that the government has stopped the funding for developing technology needed for the detection of terrestrial planets. Is anyone else trying to develop this technology or is that the end of it? :(

? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler_Mission

Exoplanet research is currently one of the hottest areas in astronomy, so where did you get an idea like that?

Plebeian said:
I have been reading about the star system on wiki and noticed that one of the Alpha Centauri stars could in theory have a terrestrial planet in the goldilocks region. I also came to know that its orbit would only be stable for 250 million years.
Where did you find that out? Was that figure a lower limit or an upper limit?

I would not be surprised if it's a lower limit, since it will take a LOT of CPU cycles to calculate.

Since ODE solvers depend on approximations, the stepsize must be much smaller than the planet's year. If it's 100 steps/year, then 250 million years is 25 billion steps. Furthermore, it'll be necessary to rerun the calculations with different initial conditions, to simulate different planets.

That's the Terrestrial Planet Finder.

lpetrich said:
Where did you find that out? Was that figure a lower limit or an upper limit?

Neither. It's nonsense. It's on Wikipedia, but the number is nowhere to be found in the reference they cite. Unfortunately, once sloppy scholarship appears on Wikipedia, it spreads.

First, one of the authors of Alpha Centauri - Wikipedia stated:
However, computer simulations show that a planet might have been able to form within a distance of 1.1 AU (160 million km) of Alpha Centauri B and the orbit of that planet may remain stable for at least 250 million years.
Note the "at least". It's not "at most".

I found the source: [0811.0673] Planet formation in the habitable zone of alpha Centauri B
Not exactly very relevant.

I looked through arxiv.org and I found one more-or-less-relevant paper:
[astro-ph/9609106] The Stability of Planets in the Alpha Centauri system from 1996.
It features integrations for only 2.5 million years.

As to Wikipedia's quality control, it's possible to sign up at Wikipedia's site and edit it.

1. What is the Alpha Centauri star system?

The Alpha Centauri star system is a triple star system located 4.37 light years away from Earth. It consists of three stars: Alpha Centauri A, Alpha Centauri B, and Proxima Centauri.

2. Can we see the Alpha Centauri star system with the naked eye?

Yes, the two main stars, Alpha Centauri A and B, can be seen with the naked eye from Earth. However, Proxima Centauri, the third star, is too faint to be seen without a telescope.

3. Is the Alpha Centauri star system similar to our own solar system?

Yes, in some ways the Alpha Centauri star system is similar to our solar system. Alpha Centauri A and B are similar to our sun in size and composition, and both have planets orbiting them. However, the system also has a smaller red dwarf star, Proxima Centauri, which is not present in our solar system.

4. Are there any planets in the Alpha Centauri star system that could potentially support life?

Yes, in 2016, scientists discovered a planet orbiting Proxima Centauri, called Proxima b, which is within the star's habitable zone. This means that liquid water could potentially exist on the planet's surface, making it a potential candidate for supporting life.

5. Will we ever be able to travel to the Alpha Centauri star system?

Currently, we do not have the technology to travel to the Alpha Centauri star system. However, there are ongoing research and development efforts to create technology that could potentially make interstellar travel possible in the future.