Is Q a Positive Definite Matrix in this Mathematical Proof?

In summary, the Hilbert matrix is positive definite if for all possible values of the a's, except when all the a's are zero, there exists a solution that is a strict relative minimum point.
EngWiPy
Hi,

Suppose we have:

[tex]q_{ij}=\int_0^1x^{i+j}\,dx[/tex]

can we prove that

[tex]\mathbf{Q}=[q_{ij}][/tex]

is positive definite matrix? That is:

[tex]\mathbf{d}^T\mathbf{Q}\mathbf{d}>0[/tex]

for all d?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
S_David said:
[tex]q_{ij}=\int_0^1x^{i+j}\,dx[/tex]
Here i,j are natural numbers between 1 and some n? If i+j+1 is never zero, then

[tex]q_{ij}=\frac{1}{i+j+1}[/tex]

or am I missing something?

The result given by Landau is called the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_matrix" . It's a famous example of an ill-conditioned matrix. The wiki page linked to lists its properties.

As for a proof that it's positive definite. I think maybe the easiest (almost trivial) way would be to use "[URL criterion[/URL] and induction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another easy proof is to use the fact that if every 2x2 submatrix of a matrix M is positive definite, then M is positive definite.

Landau said:
Here i,j are natural numbers between 1 and some n? If i+j+1 is never zero, then

[tex]q_{ij}=\frac{1}{i+j+1}[/tex]

or am I missing something?

You are absolutely right. Can you go further?

Thank you Simon_Tyler and AlephZero for your replies, but I think these methods are advanced somewhat. I am taking this first course in optimization, and we use the method I mentioned in the first post.

Regards

If you want to relate this to optimization and least squares fitting, then consider the problem of fitting a polynomial

[tex]P(x) = a_1 x + a_2 a^2 + \cdots + a_n x^n[/tex]

to an arbitrary function [itex]F(x)[/itex] over the interval [itex][0,1][/itex]. Minimize

[tex]\int_0^1 (P(x) - F(x))^2 dx[/tex]

and your Hilbert matrix will appear. I can't remember much general optimization theory, but can you use this to prove the Hillbert matrix is positive definite?

AlephZero said:
If you want to relate this to optimization and least squares fitting, then consider the problem of fitting a polynomial

[tex]P(x) = a_1 x + a_2 a^2 + \cdots + a_n x^n[/tex]

to an arbitrary function [itex]F(x)[/itex] over the interval [itex][0,1][/itex]. Minimize

[tex]\int_0^1 (P(x) - F(x))^2 dx[/tex]

and your Hilbert matrix will appear. I can't remember much general optimization theory, but can you use this to prove the Hillbert matrix is positive definite?

Yes I know, and from this problem exactly I got the matrix [tex]\mathbf{Q}[/tex]. I did the first order necessary conditions, and moved to the second order conditions and stuck at the point at hand, which is: is Q a positive definite matrix? which means, is our solution of [tex]\mathbf{a}[/tex] is a strict relative minimum point?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

No, we are both trying to make this too complicated.

[tex]\int_0^1 [P(x)]^2 dx > 0[/tex]

for all possible values of the a's, except when all the a's are zero.

That's all there is to it.

AlephZero said:
No, we are both trying to make this too complicated.

[tex]\int_0^1 [P(x)]^2 dx > 0[/tex]

for all possible values of the a's, except when all the a's are zero.

That's all there is to it.

It's pretty obvious when you put it like that!

1. What is a positive definite matrix?

A positive definite matrix is a square matrix where all of its eigenvalues are positive. This means that when the matrix is multiplied by any non-zero vector, the resulting vector will have a positive magnitude.

2. What is the significance of positive definite matrices?

Positive definite matrices have many important applications in mathematics, engineering, and science. They are used in optimization problems, numerical analysis, and in the study of quadratic forms.

3. How can a positive definite matrix be identified?

A matrix can be identified as positive definite by checking its eigenvalues. If all eigenvalues are positive, then the matrix is positive definite. Alternatively, a matrix can also be identified as positive definite if it is symmetric and has a positive determinant.

4. Can a matrix be both positive definite and positive semidefinite?

No, a matrix can either be positive definite or positive semidefinite but not both. A positive definite matrix has all positive eigenvalues, while a positive semidefinite matrix has at least one eigenvalue that is equal to zero.

5. How are positive definite matrices used in machine learning?

Positive definite matrices are commonly used in machine learning algorithms, such as support vector machines and Gaussian processes. They are used to represent the covariance of data, and also in the calculation of distance metrics between data points.