Finding the atomic makeup of a substance

• Thread starter PhiPhenomenon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atomic
In summary: I'm just wondering how people know for certain what they're looking at when they're analyzing spectroscopic data. For instance, with ethanol, do the peak heights always correspond to the chemical shifts?
PhiPhenomenon
Hey all,

This is actually my first post on this forum but I have been reading it for a few months now.

Anyway, I'm sure the title of this thread might be confusing but this question has been bugging me for years now and I'm sure I'm missing something quite elementary. My question has to do with how exactly do people find the atomic makeup of an unknown substance and actually know enough to talk about it's bond structure.

For instance, I'm just imagining we have a bucket of ethenol (C2H4O1). I don't know what it is exactly and for all I know it could be just ethanol (C2H6O1) with a single sigma bond between the two carbons. How would I figure this out? For that matter, how do people know for certain that it is made up of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Besides many "wet" chemical tests that can be used to qualitatively identify functional groups and certain atoms (e.g., by precipitation, formation of colored derivatives, etc.), there is an entire field known as spectroscopy which encompasses a huuuuge range of test methods. To name a few: atomic emission spectroscopy, atomic absorption spectroscopy, UV-Vis, Fluoroescence/Chemiluminescence techniques, Mass spectrometry (this in itself is a huge field), Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (besides MS, this is the most powerful technique for determining organic structures), Infrared, Microwave, Raman, X-Ray diffraction, X-Ray Fluorescence, X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy...

the list is massive and each technique gives certain information about a molecule. If I wanted to determine its molar mass, I would use Mass Spectrometry with a non-destructive ionization method. If I wanted to determine bonding patters, I would use MS with a destructive ionization pattern or better yet, something called tandem MS. Alternately, there is NMR, but that can be a finicky technique sometimes (but otherwise, it's EXTREMELY powerful, especially 2D or 3D pulse NMR experiments). For quick tests to look for functional groups, Infrared or UV-Vis would be a good technique. UV Vis could also tell me something about the orbital energies of a molecule (which is useful when looking at inorganic species).

Seriously, there are books and theses written about this and I can't even hope to touch on all the techniques! For Ethanol, though, I would perform a proton NMR experiment. It's very easy to analyze--you'd see 3 proton signals at different "chemical shifts." The peak height of the signal tells you about their relative ratios, so you'd see 3:2:1 relative peak heights. The specific chemical shift tells you the amount of electronic shielding against the applied magnetic field that is around each proton, and correspondingly, if it's attached to any heteroatoms, electron-donating, or electron-withdrawing groups.

It's a cool field :)

Wow, I actually understand that. Thank you! :)

I've been reading books on the subject for a while now. I'm actually fresh out of school with a BS in psychology (bleh!) and trying to transition into neuroscience.

1. How do you determine the atomic makeup of a substance?

The atomic makeup of a substance can be determined using techniques such as spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and X-ray crystallography. These methods involve analyzing the energy levels, mass, and structure of the atoms in the substance to identify their types and quantities.

2. Why is it important to know the atomic makeup of a substance?

Knowing the atomic makeup of a substance is important for understanding its properties and behavior. It can also help in identifying unknown substances and predicting their reactions with other substances.

3. Can the atomic makeup of a substance change?

The atomic makeup of a substance can change through chemical reactions, nuclear reactions, or physical processes. However, the total number of atoms of each element in a substance remains constant.

4. What is the difference between atomic makeup and molecular makeup?

Atomic makeup refers to the types and quantities of individual atoms in a substance, while molecular makeup refers to the types and quantities of molecules present. Molecular makeup takes into account the arrangement of atoms in a molecule, whereas atomic makeup does not.

5. How can you determine the percentage of each element in a substance?

The percentage of each element in a substance can be determined by dividing the number of atoms of that element by the total number of atoms in the substance and multiplying by 100%. This information can be obtained from the atomic makeup of the substance using techniques such as mass spectrometry or X-ray crystallography.